nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Everybody has their own image of success in their head. Whether it is success from external or internal sources, we have all felt the need to accomplish our goals and reach our dreams. When speaking of success, however, you cannot ignore the suggestion of failure that hangs around as well.

Every day hundreds of thousands of dreams are put on hold because someone hesitates to act due to the fear of failure. In reality, this is a totally silly reason to not go out there and get what you want. If you are out every day working hard with the hopes that one day you can make something of yourself, then do not put a timeline on your failure or success: take any and every opportunity that presents itself to you and if it sticks then that is great, but if it does not then that is okay too.

For more reasons than one, failing is necessary on the path to accomplishment and achievement. You cannot reach true success if you have never failed: people who have always had things given to them and not had to go out and get things on their own do not know real failure and therefore cannot know real success.

The majority of successful people in our society do not tell you a story of growing up not knowing what it is like to go through life with no obstacles, in fact, a lot of the most accomplished people in the world came from very little and made themselves into the person we see today.

Most of us are born into lives that provide us with the privilege of seeing failure first-hand—I refer to having seen failure as a privilege because this factor is what pushes most people to get better and make the best out of their situations and eventually their lives.

Through trial and error, these people have built legacies that the entirety of the word failing is completely acceptable. Without failure, how would one learn from their mistakes? If there is nothing to be learned from, then we can never get better or push ourselves towards greater successes. Instead of fearing failure as a whole, embrace the possibility that you could fail and if you do, see what there is to learn from those mistakes.   

Christina is a junior at West Virginia University studying journalism and fashion business. Christina is a media intern at WVUToday, where she reports and edits stories daily. She has held editing and directing roles in HC at WVU, and is currently a co-president of the organization. She has been published three times in Mirage Magazine, a branch off of Ed on Campus. Christina is also in charge of the activism teams newly implemented in HC at WVU: VOICES— a student-run podcast exploring current social issues. Woman-Up—bringing awareness to the underrepresentation of women in the media field. The Pad Project—an international non-profit partnership to raise awareness surrounding the lack of education and stigmas around menstruation in developing countries. Upon graduation, Christina would like to work in the PR/Marketing fields of the fashion industry.
Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.