neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Let’s Face It; the Election Is Ruining Your Social Media Friendships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

In public school they always preached, “no politics, no religion.” Yet, we all have this undying urge to constantly put out what our thoughts are when it comes to the most controversial issues. Whether it be Facebook, Twitter, Instagram—this election especially has made us all turn on one another, even if there was absolutely no reason before.

No matter who you’re voting for, it’s almost impossible not to see some type of bashing pop up on your social media, whether it be by you or someone else. Social outlets like Facebook and Twitter are prime places to voice opinions and actually have them be heard. But sometimes they’re heard by other and it doesn’t always end up well.

Right and Left have definitely become more divided with this election. The line has become bolded and could even developed into a brick wall at this point (HAHAHA). Most Americans in the past indicate that they were moderates, however this election has definitely brought out the extremities within our country.

The big question is though, should you block that one annoying cousin that won’t shut up about how Hillary should go to jail? Should you unfriend your best friend from middle school who won’t stop posting about how white nationalists are taking over? These are the questions we are asking.

And well, it’s hard to say. However, “muting” people, for example, is definitely an incredibly efficient way to shut someone up without actually doing it. And you can always unmute them after to un-shut them up, if you choose to. It’s best to constantly remind yourself that this is social media, and most comments should just be taken lightly. Whether someone is informed or not, each kind of person has the same power to spew whatever they like on whatever platform they please.

It may be hard, but public school also taught to be respectful of others’ opinions, even if you don’t want to. And even though the election is coming to a close, don’t think the talk on politics is over. Because it sure as hell is not. 

I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!