neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I attempted a social media cleanse so you don’t have to. Here’s what I learned.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Over the summer, I completed a week-long trip with West Virginia University where I wasn’t allowed to use my cell phone for the entirety of the trip. I really enjoyed my break from my phone and social media during this time and after this trip, I started to wonder whether it would be as enjoyable when it was a self-motivated cleanse. I decided to do a three-day social media break starting the morning of October 5th through the evening of October 7th.

The first day of the cleanse was pretty easy. I had class all day, and immediately after my last class I had a Her Campus team bonding activity. It wasn’t until I went home and had some free time that I started to miss scrolling on social media when I got bored and had nothing else to do. But overall, having a full day of things to do made the cleanse really easy this day.

The second day of the cleanse was much harder than the first. Since it was a game day, I felt the need to check and post on social media about the game. I had a lot of free time on this day and that made it really hard to stay off of social media completely, especially as I have people in my life who I am only able to contact via social media. I ended up accidentally breaking the cleanse on Saturday a few times and was very disappointed but decided to continue with the cleanse to see where it took me.

Sunday was much easier as I worked an early morning shift and spent the majority of my day at work. When I got back to my dorm I was able to distract myself with homework until it was time for me to end my cleanse.

Since I had already done a week-long social media cleanse this summer I thought this would be a lot easier than it was. However, I found that it was a lot more difficult when I was the one enforcing the cleanse on myself. It’s a lot easier to be off of social media for days at a time when your days are filled with activities so you don’t feel bored. However, it’s when I did have a lull in my day or a small break that I found myself instinctively opening Twitter or Snapchat.

This cleanse helped me realize how much of my time is occupied by social media and my phone. I hope that going forward I will think twice when I go to open a social media app every time I get a spare second.

Zaida Pring is a freshman at West Virginia University, seeking a B.S in Political Science with a minor in Women and Gender Studies. After undergrad she hopes to attend law school and fight for global human rights with the United Nations.
Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.