Style > Beauty

How Coconut Oil Can Boost Your Beauty Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you love finding beauty hacks that actually work, while not breaking your bank account in the meantime.  I have tried countless moisturizers, hair masks and makeup remover all at different price ranges, yet I always find myself coming back to coconut oil. This fatty acid is actually proven to be a great alternative (or replacement) to a variety of beauty products and can even cost as low as $5. Here are my favorite ways to use coconut oil outside of the kitchen.

Hair Mask

I am definitely guilty of damaging my hair. From bleach to dye to straighteners, I’ve done it all- and tried just about everything to bring my hair back to life. The natural oil and fatty acids in coconut oil can replenish dry, damaged and frizzy hair. I actually prefer coconut oil over a deep conditioning product. I normally try to do a treatment once a week and my results have been amazing. The simplicity is even better; all it takes is coconut oil and a hair tie. Just apply a generous amount of coconut oil to your hair, roots to ends, and keep it on for at least an hour (the longer the better). Normally, I will place a towel on my pillow and keep the coconut oil in overnight. Take your time while shampooing because coconut oil can sometimes be difficult to remove. You can also put coconut oil on the ends of your hair before swimming. This will prevent the chlorine or salt water from drying out your hair.

Makeup Remover

Even the best of us have slept with our makeup on. While this is definitely not ideal for your skin, let’s face it– it happens. There have been numerous times where I have run out of makeup remover wipes or had pesky waterproof mascara that just would not come off. Not only is coconut oil fantastic for gently removing face and eye makeup, it sure seems a lot safer than putting makeup wipes with chemicals directly on your face. With just one swipe of a tissue coated in coconut oil, even the peskiest mascaras will come right off. Better yet, you can even use the oil to clean your makeup brushes. 

Moisturizer 

During the colder months, it is common for skin to become drier. Coconut oil is great for dry, sensitive skin. Using it as a body moisturizer or on your lips as chapstick will deeply hydrate and lock the moisture in your skin. However, a little bit goes a long way: too much may make you feel too greasy. Only apply a small amount and then add more as needed. If using it as a daily moisturizer is too much for you, you can use coconut oil to soothe rashes, burns and bug bites. 

Nail treatment

Applying coconut oil will actually make your nails stronger and less brittle. This is perfect for anyone who wears acrylics or naturally has weak nails. Warm the coconut oil in the microwave until it is a liquid and apply it to your cuticles and your nails.

Eyelash Growth Serum

If nothing else on this list has convinced you to head out to your local grocery store and pick up a tub of coconut oil, this definitely will. Just like the hair on your head, the fatty acids can actually help grow your eyelashes. Use a Q-Tip to apply a small amount of coconut oil to your lashes and leave it overnight.  

Marra is a sophomore at West Virginia University studying Public Relations with minors in Communication and Strategic Social Media. She is from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and loves traveling, music, shopping and skincare.
Her Campus at West Virginia University