How To Avoid Holiday Relationship FOMO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Ah. The holidays. The magical, whimsical time of year when everyone is happy, and if you’re not happy, you’re a scrooge. The holidays are meant for celebration of loved ones and happy times. But, it’s also a reminder that if you’re single, you feel forever alone. You have that one relative that always asks if you’re dating someone. You see your friends’ cute Instagram posts in the snow with their lovers. The mistletoe is haunting you from across the living room. Sigh

The good news? Her Campus has got you covered.

Here is a collective guide on how to avoid FOMO (fear of missing out) on being in a relationship during the ~holidays~.

1.Your bank account loves you right now.

The second you miss being in a relationship, think again. You are most likely swimming in the dough right now compared to all the girlfriends buying their men the newest video game or that cute sweater they saw in American Eagle (he will only wear it, like, twice.) You can spend more money on people you love and care for, or even save it up for your spring break trip! If anything, you are the lucky one in this situation.

2.You can spoil yourself.

Finals are over and you are exhausted. The holidays are much needed for your mental sanity. Now that you don’t have to worry about saving money for dinners, presents, and dates, you can spend that money on a manicure or that new sweater you’ve been eyeing up. You’re young. Splurge. Spoil yourself while you can and do not regret it. You deserve it, girl. Be the queen you know you are.

3.No worries about where you will spend the holidays.

When in a relationship, you have to worry about when and where you will have to spend major holidays. You have to see your family, and of course you have to visit their family too. Your mom wants you to have dinner with your family, but he’s in a same boat. Oh holy headache. When you are single, there is one place that is meant for you after dinner…your couch.

4.You can eat as much as you want with no judgment.

Going over to anyone’s house is always intimidating eating dinner, especially when you’ve never actually met half of the people that you are expected to be cordial with. Being in the comfort of your own home, eating as much as your little heart desires, is truly something we all take for granted. And being able to eat as much as you want with no aunt or second cousin of your boyfriend judging you…it’s bliss. So go to town ladies, eat that piece of pie. You deserve it.

5.You can get cozy by the fire with whomever you choose.

When you head home for the holidays, you know you’ll see that guy from your junior year math class that smiled at you on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Having freedom is a lot better than it may seem. Instead of feeling sad, cold, and lonely, you can snuggle with an old friend and some spiked hot chocolate and see what may happen. Going home for winter break leads to many unexpected situations like seeing a guy you forgot you had a crush on in junior high or taking shots at a bar crawl with your old best friends. You never know what may happen, but being single makes it easy to do whatever your heart desires.

Being single is not a bad thing. It is a time to find yourself and realize who you really are. Also, it is a time to reflect and make time for yourself. During the holidays, it can be tough to adjust to the constant family nagging of your love life and seeing all the couples do cute Christmas activities. But, now you can drink your holiday mojito with peace knowing you are the one who is really winning. Cheers.

Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.