Homecoming Queen Candidate, Elayna Conard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Meet Elayna Conard, a 2013 WVU Homecoming Queen candidate! Elayna is a 21-year-old senior public relations major from Huntington, West Virginia. She is a bright student of the School of Journalism who loves to work out, listen to country music and is obsessed with manicures and the Kardashians. Elayna describes herself as a girl whose heart is filled with passion for the great state of West Virginia and the university. Since she was a little girl, Elayna grew up with deep gold and blue roots and always knew she would be a Mountaineer.

I asked Elayna why she chose to run for Homecoming Queen and was taken back by her response. She told me, “Since my first days as a freshman, I was determined not to lose my identity amidst thousands of other students. I treated each class, each visit to the library, Mountainlair or rec center as an opportunity to meet someone new or to make a difference, however small it might have been.”

She continued to tell me that becoming Homecoming Queen has nothing to do with the title but everything to do with the honor of representing WVU and her college experience from day one. “By becoming Homecoming Queen,” she said, “I would hope to represent all those that have given my college experience such meaningful memories. My friends, sorority sisters, fellow classmates and Mountaineers.”

Elayna is an active member of Alpha Phi and was the former President of the chapter. She is also the Director of Community Service for the WVU Maniacs and a member of PRSSA.

Below are a few other questions I asked Elayna.

• What has been your most memorable moment at WVU? -WVU’s victory at the Orange Bowl in 2011. “Other than winning a game against a very tough competitor, the game represented all aspects of being a Mountaineer- courage to fight, fearlessness and pure happiness that only hard work can bring.”
  • In your opinion, what defines a true Mountaineer? – “An individual full of honorable character that recognizes opportunities around them and puts forth all effort necessary to succeed. A Mountaineer uses struggle as motivation and inspire others to want to be more as well.”
  • What distinguishes you from the other women on the Homecoming court? – “I can speak for the others on court when I say it is truly an honor to be living this experience. I am not doing this for myself but as an honored representative of the organizations of which I have loved being a part of, the unsuspected friends I have met along the way and the ones I am still getting to know. I aim to give a voice to all students on campus and earn the title of Homecoming Queen.”
  • Who is your role model? Why? – Her grandmother, or “nana” as she calls her. Elayna admires her strength of character and service to her family. Elayna told me she is who she is today because of the influence her nana and mother have had in her life. Elayna’s grandmother has always advised her to “never have to say you’re sorry.” Elayna thinks about these words on a daily basis as they remind her to think before she speaks.

Elayna told me that she is constantly looking for ways to become better. “I see each day as a new opportunity. I am grateful for the gifts God has given me and I enjoy helping others see the best in themselves. The ‘things’ of this world can all vanish in an instant but a lasting legacy is timeless… so with that, my wish is to be timeless.”