Freshman Year Mistakes and How To Deal With Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Freshman year. We’ve all been there, done that and probably bought the t-shirt for it. It’s the cringe-worthy time of figuring out exactly who you are and what you want to do with your life. It’s the time in your life when you will make the most mistakes, the mistakes you’ll look back on and think, “Oh god, did I really do that?” If you’re a freshman at WVU, and you haven’t made one of the following mistakes at least once, did you really do freshman year right?

Rocking a lanyard absolutely everywhere, and thinking you look cool while doing it

Lanyards aren’t cute. Buy a wallet, it won’t kill you.

Taking off your shoes at a frat house, on high street, etc.

No one cares if your feet hurt. You should never, under any circumstances EVER take your shoes off in public. If you can’t handle the pain of heels, don’t wear them. Invest in some comfortable and stylish shoes you can wear out. Plus, who knows what kinds of diseases and germs you can pick up from walking barefoot around Morgantown. You don’t want to be that girl, because yes, the upperclassmen are judging you.

Dancing like a mad woman at Cellar

Freshman or not, this is something you just shouldn’t do in general, but it’s usually the freshman that are caught up trying to dance like their Beyonce. Go home, because odds are if you have even the slightest urge to dance like that on stage you’ve had a little too much to drink.

Going to Cellar and actually enjoying it

Let’s be real, no one besides freshmen are actually willing to wait in line that long in the most absurd temperatures just to get into a club.

Dressing up for class

There isn’t anything wrong with looking nice for class, but if you look like you’re ready for a night out on the town, then odds are you’re doing it wrong. Save the crop tops and short bodycon skirts for Friday night.

Wearing your expensive heels out to the club

Morgantown is nothing but hills, so yes, your brand new Steve Madden pumps that you’re dying to wear out will take a beating.

Rocking the “New Student” T-shirt that’s given to you at freshmen orientation

Freshmen want nothing more than to fit in on campus, and if you’re seen wearing that shirt, it’s obvious you don’t know where you’re going or what you’re doing. Nothing screams freshman more than the new student t-shirts.

Skipping Class

Just don’t do it. If you don’t think you can’t make it to class because of something you did the night before than maybe you shouldn’t have done it. Going to class is a vital necessity when it comes to passing. That Sociology 101 class you never go to? Yeah, you’re probably going to have to D/F repeat it.

Thinking you won’t need the syllabus

Just because you didn’t need the syllabus for your AP Human Anatomy and Physiology in high school doesn’t mean the same goes for your college level Human Anatomy and Physiology class. The syllabus is basically a golden ticket to a good grade. Your professor isn’t going to remind you what your reading is for that night or when your paper is due. It’s all in the syllabus and it was put there for a reason