This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Have you ever been inches away from the mirror studying the shape of the collection of hairs above your eyes and wondered “What is their purpose?”

Turns out, eyebrows have a practical use. According to this Mental Floss article, “Why Do We Have Eyebrows?” eyebrows are in place to keep sweat and water out of our eyes. But eyebrows do more than serve as umbrellas for your eyes! Eyebrows are also crucial to communicating nonverbally, especially to those using sign language. 

Aside from protecting your eyes and conveying your thoughts, eyebrows also provide an unexpected outlet for creativity, right on your face.

2017 and 2018 saw some wild eyebrow trends including:

Halo brow

Hannahdoesmakeupp graced the world with this holy look. 

Feather brows

This avian look was brought to us by stelle.s.makeup.

Barbed wire brows

Athenapaginton is serving up sharp looks with these brows that she posted on her Instagram.

While these brows are a little outlandish, just like with all beauty-related things, the trends are ever changing. 

This Marie Claire article highlights the shape of brows throughout the year.

Flappers of the 1920s rocked pencil thin eyebrows

While babes of the 1980s boasted bushy brows

Elle Australia, tells us what eyebrow trends we should be on the lookout for in 2019. 

These brows range from colorful to fluffy to mismatched.

So whether you prefer your eyebrows thick, thin or in the shape of a halo, use them as a tool to create a look that is uniquely you.

Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.
Her Campus at West Virginia University