Dance Now at WVU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

The West Virginia College of Creative Arts performed its 57th Annual Dance concert, “Dance Now,” for the first time on Thursday, January 5th.  The performance was a huge success and featured work from the WVU Dance Program students and faculty, as well as local dance groups and guest artists from the dance world. 

Rachel Borowski, our HerCampus editor who performed in one of the acts, said the dancers had been preparing for a great show.

“We started rehearsing these pieces in the beginning of the fall semester and had an informal concert for all of the student choreographer’s pieces during the end of last semester,” said Borowski.  “Certain student choreographed pieces were selected to be performed along with the faculty pieces.”

Mariah Vrana, who attended the show on opening night, said she thought it went very well.                                                                                        

“It was very beautiful and elegant,” said Vrana, “it made me wish I had never given up dancing when I was little.”

Borowski said she also thought the performance went well.

“The audience really seemed to respond well to the performances and I know personally that last night was one of my best performances,” said Borowski.

The concert was dedicated to Emily Spickler, a WVU student who passed away on an Austrailia study abroad trip in August.  Students from her hometown choreographed the opening dance in her memory.

“The opening dance was amazing and really touched the audience,” said Vrana.  “I didn’t know her personally, but she seemed like a really amazing person.”

*Photo credit to Amy Rene

Becca is a junior from Collegeville, Pennsylvania. She attends West Virginia University where she is pursing a major in Advertising and minors in Business and Communications. She is involved in the Martin-Hall Agency, which is the advertising club for the University. She is currently interning as an American Eagle Campus Representative for WVU, where she works with two other girls to promote the brand on campus. In her spare time, she loves to shop, read, play field hockey and, of course, eat. Living right outside of Philly her whole life, she can’t resist a good cheesesteak and an awesome Phillies game. She looks forward to graduating college and finding a job working at a large advertising firm in either Pittsburgh or back home in Philly.