Christmas Present Ideas That Won’t Break The Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Being a broke college student is never easy. Especially when the holiday season comes along and you want to buy gifts for all your friends and family members. As much as we would love to spoil our mothers and grandmothers, we are used to having to settle with making them homemade crafts instead. And as we get older, I am starting to realize that thoughtful and sentimental gifts mean more than the price on the tag. Since the holidays are right around the corner, I thought I would share some gift ideas that the important people in your life will love, without breaking the bank.

A great gift idea I stumbled across at Target awhile ago was this journal. It is filled with many questions about your mother and her life. The journal starts out asking about when she was born, through schooling, up until when you were born and how that affected her life. Not only will your mom or guardian in your life love getting it, but eventually you will get it back so that you can have her story forever. On top of all of that, it is only $11.49! They also make journals like these for grandmothers.

Another liked gift for teens and college students are stickers. What type of stickers, you may ask? The ones that are taking over students’ laptops and water bottles. These stickers are liked so much because of how much they tell others about the owner of the laptop or water bottle. These stickers can range in size and they are often colorful and aesthetic. Many have places traveled, quotes that are loved and any and everything in between. The good thing about stickers is that they usually range from $2-$5 for each one! Redbubble is a great place to look for stickers, they have any sticker one could possibly want.

For dads and grandfathers, I know we all struggle trying to find something that they would like. And I have always thought about these things as well. However, I am starting to be a seasoned pro when it comes to the male figures in my life. I have come to find out that males like basic and fundamental items that they can use every day. This has led to the conclusion that the gift of bath and body sets would be ideal. These gift sets usually include body wash, deodorant and body spray. And while to girls, this idea may seem bland, I promise dads and grandpas love it. Even better than the gift being useful, usually, these sets range from only $10-$15.

With the holidays coming soon, buying gifts is a large task on everyone’s to-do list. If none of these ideas seem like something your friends or family would like, then homemade gifts are always appreciated too. Family and friends appreciate the thought behind gifts. Keep in mind as you are shopping this season that the meaning behind gifts are always more important than the price tags!

Edited by Madison Greer

A freshman at West Virginia University, majoring in English and hoping to double major with psychology. Enjoys traveling, playing tennis, and spending quality time with friends. Other than writing articles, she also is an editor for Her Campus and an Alumni, Marketing, and PR coordinator for WVU's division of Camp Kesem.
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.