This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Kevin’s Chili

As the weather gets colder and the days get shorter, I crave warm and hearty meals. However, it’s easy to fall into the trap of eating comfort foods day in and day out with little nutritional value. College students, I’m looking at you. Put down the ramen. One of the many plus sides to eating vegan food is the price and the health benefits — and this is coming from an omnivore. This meal yields at least six servings per batch with 12 grams of vegan protein. Did I mention that it’s SO easy to make? Here is what you’ll need:

• One can of corn

• One whole onion

• Four cups of vegetable stock

• One can of diced tomatoes

• One can of black beans

• One can of chili beans

• ½ cup chili powder

• ¼ cup onion powder 

To make this recipe, I use the slow cooker setting on my Instant Pot. However, any slow cooker or crock-pot will work. To start, chop up your onion and measure out your ingredients. This will mainly consist of opening cans. Combine all ingredients in your slow cooker of choice. Set the timer on your cooker to six hours, put on the lid and just let it go. That’s it! It’s seriously that simple. This recipe is so easy to make, even if you aren’t skilled in the kitchen. I like to top my chili with a handful of vegan cheese or sour cream. You can also add vegan turkey or beef if you feel like it. The whole batch should last you at least a week, so I recommend freezing some in a freezer bag for future use. In my experience, meat-eaters and vegans alike will enjoy this cold-weather favorite.

Juliet is a senior at West Virginia University and is majoring in Public Relations with a minor in political science. She is interested in using her knowledge as a public relations student to work in government or politics.
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.