Check Out TLC’s Wedding Show Extravaganzas!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

TLC’s reality captured bridal shows continue to catch a girl’s focus without even trying. There is no need to provide expensive advertising for the fans because it is known that a wedding is almost every girl’s dream.

I know that when I have a big Biology exam to prepare for or an article to submit to HerCampus.com, I occasionally find my eyes glued to the television when a bride is trying to find her perfect dress. The bridal fascination distraction is an insane way to pass the time, no matter if there is something more important to complete.

When girls transform from teenage years to 
twenties, more and more friends will get married. It creates a phenomenal interest in dresses.
Bridal dresses are the main focus, but don’t forget the bridesmaid dresses! The attraction to a bridesmaids dress has lead viewers to leave “Say Yes to the Dress” and join “Say Yes to the Bridesmaids Dress”.

A bridesmaids dress can make any consultant pull their hair out. The stress in the dressing rooms has caused the show to be 100 percent entertaining. I love it! 

The drama never stops. Sisters argue over the expected maid-of-honor title, best friends get jealous when they lose the spotlight, and mothers cry to see their baby girls grow up. It never gets old. 

TLC has done a fantastic job capturing specific moments that make the show hilarious, yet tear jerking. Monte Durham, for example, entertains viewers with his interfering comments. He always knows how to settle an argument and leave a bride or bridesmaid looking fabulous. Along with Monte comes head consultant, Lori Allen. She has the most creative southern phrases. For example, “You look hotter that a firecracker on the fourth of July.”

Being from the south, I appreciate and enjoy watching the Atlanta, Georgia shows. The brides are much more spicy, especially in a different way when compared to “Say Yes to the Dress” in New York City. The expected warm and welcoming Southern United States hospitality is not exactly portrayed in this show. The brides, family members, and friends all have off-the-wall opinions that shock viewers. I find the comments so humorous that I have become a true fan.

From the shows, I have learned the appropriate behavior that is encouraging to a bride. It is important to make sure that it is all about that special girl and the spot light is on her for one entire day. Holding back selfish tendencies for one day is not too much to ask. It breaks my heart when I see some of the bridesmaids disrespect the wishes of the bride. How do you think you would feel if mistreated on your wedding day?

“Say Yes to the Dress” and “Say Yes to the Bridesmaids Dress” are both exceedingly engaging. If you have yet to enjoy these shows, I hope that I have changed your mind. There are repeats on TLC constantly. So when you have a “lazy” day, sit down and have the benefit of enjoying witty women get ready for their wedding day!

Becca is a junior from Collegeville, Pennsylvania. She attends West Virginia University where she is pursing a major in Advertising and minors in Business and Communications. She is involved in the Martin-Hall Agency, which is the advertising club for the University. She is currently interning as an American Eagle Campus Representative for WVU, where she works with two other girls to promote the brand on campus. In her spare time, she loves to shop, read, play field hockey and, of course, eat. Living right outside of Philly her whole life, she can’t resist a good cheesesteak and an awesome Phillies game. She looks forward to graduating college and finding a job working at a large advertising firm in either Pittsburgh or back home in Philly.