Celebrities and Politics: Should They Speak Up?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Over the course of the last five years, many celebrities use their social media platforms as ways to speak their opinions. What’s one of the most opinionated topics? Politics. A-list singers, actors, and comedians have been called out for speaking their mind on politics. Many people (usually those who disagree with them) have made it publicly known that they do not approve. So let’s answer the question. Should celebrities share their political thoughts with others?

Why shouldn’t they?

This is a narrative that I have never understood. If I can post on Instagram how I feel about Trump’s wall, why can’t Cardi B? Although most celebrities are not professionally trained or educated to analyze politics, is it wrong for them to express how they feel?

Cardi B has been the newest subject of this absurd accusation that celebrities have no place in the political environment. She recently took to Instagram to express her feelings about the government shutdown. Cardi B received massive attention from it when well known conservative political commentator shared her thoughts on the matter.

Although many people came to defend Cardi B, many also agreed with the tweet, however, Cardi B was not one of them.

Other celebrities falling victim to this stigma include Taylor Swift, who endorsed two Tennessee Democratic candidates running in the midterm elections, Kanye West for endorsing Donald Trump, John Legend, Ludacris, Rihanna and Ariana Grande.

The list of celebrities that use their platform for political influence is astronomical. Anyone talking about politics is a good thing. Getting our society involved in our government is a great thing, no matter what their status is.

Her Campus at West Virginia University