This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Being a college student away from home is hard. With classes and homework comes stress and anxiety. Long days and sleepless nights are common, and finding time to treat yourself is hard. However, getting a package notification never fails to improve my day. Although, as a broke college student, online shopping is not always in my budget. Recently, I discovered Ipsy and Birchbox. 

What are they? For $10 a month, you receive a package filled with five sample-sized products catered to you! Each website has a detailed test where you fill out your hair color, eye color, skin tone, etc. and there are multiple questions asking about your favorite brands and the products you love to use. They take all of your information and personally pick samples they think you would like the best. Sometimes, you even get full sized products, delivered monthly right to your door.

But, which one is the right box for you? Keep reading to find out.

Courtesy of: Giphy

Birchbox

Birchbox comes in an actual box, which can be used for storage and even recycled. Birchbox has a good variety of samples so everyone will find at least a couple of things they would enjoy. I have seen hair care, skincare and makeup. They try to make sure you receive a little bit of everything. My January box consisted of a full-sized Eyeko eyeliner, mini Stila mascara, Mac strobe cream, Winky Lux highlighter and a Davines shampoo, which comes along with two foil hair serum samples. For $10, that’s amazing!

When you download the app you will be able to see your samples for that month before they come to your door. There is also an option to pick one of your samples for your next box, which makes it a little more hands on. You can also choose to get a curated box, which includes five samples that they feel is the best bang for your buck. Birchbox also has a box that is catered towards men, which can be the perfect gift. 

Courtesy of: Giphy

Ipsy

Ipsy is an adorable makeup bag that is sent to your door with five sample-sized products. Ipsy is more focused on name-brand makeup products—although, I have received two nail polishes and a face mask throughout my subscription. My January bag carried one full-sized Nail medic nail polish, a Nomad highlighter, Fluide lip gloss, Tarte foundation and a pumpkin turmeric face mask. Usually every month you will receive at least one full-sized product.  Another good thing about Ipsy is when you look at your products on the app you can review them for points. These points add up and once you get to 300 or 600 points, you can add a sample-size product of your choosing for free. Members can shop and receive 10 percent off everything on their website. 

Courtesy of: Giphy

Overall, each subscription is an awesome way to experience new products to try out. Birchbox is more for the people who like to try out new skin care and hair care along with a sample of makeup. Ipsy is more for the makeup junkies like myself. I will continue to keep both of my subscriptions. Even though I do love them both, if I had to pick a favorite it would be Ipsy. 

Molly is a Sophmore at West Virginia University, her major is Multidisciplinary Studies. She is from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and loves shopping, makeup, traveling and having photoshoots.
Her Campus at West Virginia University