Wellness

The Best Ways To Relieve Stress During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

As Thanksgiving ends and the weather starts to become colder, finals week draws closer. Even though the exams and portfolios are extremely stressful that doesn’t mean that you don’t have time for self-care. Here are some of the best ways to quiet your mind and take care of your body after a long day of cold weather and exams.

1. Take a workout class

One of the best ways to beat stress is to literally sweat it out. Attend a body pump or a kick boxing class. Anything to get your heart pumping and sweat dripping down your face. The WVU Student Recreation Center has a plethora of classes to take at any time of the day made for everyone!

2. Journal

It may seem silly and adolescent, but talking through your feelings and stresses in a private way is extremely healthy and effective. Taking just a few minutes out of your day to pull out a cute notebook and write down how you’re feeling in that moment can change your week for the better.

3. Take a yoga class

Like I mentioned before, a workout class can be extremely effective for reducing stress. However, yoga not only reduces stress but also attends to other parts of the mind. It incorporates meditation as well as a lot of attention to breathing which can have long term effects on the way you go about your life.

4. Sleep/Eat

Sleeping during finals? What? Yeah, I said it and it’s possible. If you have developed your time management skills over this past semester. If not, good luck Charlie. But if you have and you’ve spread out your studying to a couple of hours a day you will have plenty of time to eat plenty and at a decent pace, while also getting eight to 10 hours of sleep a night. If you get a long enough night’s sleep, you won’t feel the need for random two hour naps during the day which will free up even more time! It will also keep you from getting that pesky flu or a terrible stomach bug right when you need to be at the top of your game.

5. Hang out with friends

Socializing is a great way to increase endorphins in the brain as well as taking a moment to wind down and forget about your stresses at least for an hour or two. Don’t spend hours and waste a lot of time that you could be studying, but at least say hi and grab a coffee while catching up on each other’s lives.

6. Go for a walk

Even though the air is crisp and cold it’s still good for your lungs and your brain. Fresh air helps relieve illnesses as well as stress. Go for a walk around your neighborhood, campus or your apartment complex. If you have a car go visit Cooper’s Rock or Valley Falls down in Fairmont. Anything that gets you moving and outside will do wonders for your brain and body.

Hali Stuck is a feature writer for West Virginia University's chapter of Her Campus. She is a current freshman at West Virginia University, studying Political Science and dance. She loves doing yin yoga as well as restorative and hot yoga. She loves chai tea and spending time outside.
Her Campus at West Virginia University