This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

January is that marvelous time where the “new year, new me” people emerge from the dorito filled, Grey’s Anatomy wasteland they have lived in since March of last year. I will never discriminate against these people because yes, I am one of them. Call me skeptical but I believe New Year’s resolutions give me purpose, they motivate me to be a better version of myself. Yes people that do resolutions are most likely the same people who live through Cosmos astrology predictions but, just because I am a Capricorn and due for a hot new hookup in the month of January, this has given me enough motivation to get my ass to the gym. If you think your life needs a little revamping this year here is the best 2017 resolutions for college girls.

1. Aim for better grades: Notice how I didn’t say a 4.0, don’t set yourself up to crazy expectations. If you are a 3.0 student, try for a 3.5. Maybe skip “Thirsty Thursday” and participate in “I am on a scholarship and should probably not drink 7 vodka cranberries when I have an exam in the morning, so I’ll go to the library, Thursday” not nearly as catchy but 100x more effective.

2. Cautious spending: This one may be the hardest but it is also one of the most important. Sure, mom and dad don’t want you to starve so they’ll throw you some money but if they find out you have been using that generous donation on Starbucks everyday and 3 Chipotle burritos a week, then they might have cracked the code on why you are going broke.

3. Don’t be a wreck on the weekends: I will keep this one short and sweet, nobody likes a sloppy drunk, be cautious with your partying because a). Refer back to #2, it drains your wallet. And b.) refer to #4 it’s not the best for you.

4. Be healthier: Don’t fall into that trap of trying to lose 50 lbs by spring break. You will not see results and then give up. Just try to be healthier, don’t sleep in until one in the afternoon, don’t eat KFC every time you get drunk, and drink plenty of water. I am not a fitness expert by any means so maybe do some more research for what works for you, but I am pretty sure calling Morgantown Mcdonald’s to yell at them for not participating in the “10$ nugget extravaganza” promotion was my low point. So ditch the the pasta and try a salad.

5.Be Independent: If you are like me and boys are a topic that is always on your brain, try taking a step back. Have fun being young and independent. A significant boy or girl in your life could tie you down more that you realize.

6. Keep in touch with your family: If you aren’t calling your mom everyday what are you doing? Family is the most important thing in life and you need to keep in touch with them. Just know that if you only call your mom when you need something, you are breaking her heart. Look up a birthing video and then try to tell me you don’t owe that woman the world.

7.Be a better you: Smile more, and start caring about yourself. Nothing in your life will change unless you’re open to it. Try new things and meet new people. Read more books and explore new music. You never know what you will find when you step outside your comfort zone! 

I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!