Beating the Winter Blues (Collegiate Style)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

So here we are in the dreaded winter months again. Morgantown has become a lifeless arctic tundra, leaving us college students with nothing but hair-ruining walks to class, dry skin, and that dreaded winter weight gain. Check out these simple tips to keep you going all throughout the winter. 

1. Exercise!

It is easy to fall into an exercising slump during the winter months because, really, who wants to trudge to the Rec in eight inches of snow? Regardless of the hassle it is to get there, though, the benefits are countless. Not only does exercising daily get your blood pumping and work off those nights you spent eating Nutella and watching Netflix, but it clears your mind and relieves stress. If you are not much of a gym lover, simply taking a walk in the brisk weather will do wonders to clear your mind and get oxygen to your brain. Can we not forget that spring break and bikini season are looming in the near future?

2.Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!Face it, the winter months are harsh on our bodies. Dry hands, limp hair, chapped lips- UGH. Here are some tips to say looking your best even when the weather isn’t.  

Hair: Your hair deserves some loving this time of year too! To beat dry, limp hair, use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner daily. Also, avoid over washing your hair! Over washing can strip your hair of its natural oils and make it even dryer. If your hair tends to get oily fast, opt for a dry shampoo instead. 

Face: To keep your skin luminous during the winter months, moisturizing twice daily is a must. Choose an oil free moisturizer to apply at night and in the morning before you apply your makeup. This will help your skin fight the frigid temperatures and wind. (Don’t forget: chapstick is your best friend).

3.Drink plenty of water. 

This should be a given anytime of the year, but it is especially important to stay hydrated during the winter months. Staying hydrated promotes clear skin, healthy hair, and countless other benefits. For added benefits, squeeze half of a lemon into water for a healthy detox. 

4.Explore Morgantown!

It’s easy to get caught up in classes and homework and forget how much there actually is to do around Morgantown. Have a free evening or a weekend of no homework? Grab some friends and try some of these activities:

-Ice-Skating: An inexpensive way to fulfill your dreams of being an Olympic figure skater after watching the Olympics these last couple weeks. Just be sure to bundle up!

-Bowling: You don’t have to be good or even like bowling- the friends and food are well worth it. 

-Art classes: Whether it is pottery, making jewelry, or painting, there are plenty of ways to spark your creativity around Morgantown. 

-WVU games: There is nothing like cheering for the Mountaineers on home turf. Watch the dates for upcoming games/ meets and don’t forget to get your ticket!

5. If you can’t beat winter, join it

Unfortunately, college students do not have the power to change the climate of West Virginia. We do, however, have the power to make the best of it. Try your hand at sledding (cardboard and cookie pans make perfect makeshift sleds) and making a snowman, or if you favor staying indoors where it’s warm, plan a hot chocolate and movie night with friends!