Style > Beauty

Are The Peter Thomas Roth Face Masks Really Worth The Hype?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Whether you’re feeling dull or have just had a rough day, face masks are the easiest form of self-care to lift your spirits. Peter Thomas Roth’s new face mask gift set has been the latest trend all over social media.

The six-piece Mask Frenzy gift set features their best-selling luxurious face masks, including Irish Moor Mud Purifying Black Mask, Hungarian Thermal Water Mineral-Rich Atomic Heat Mask, 24k Gold Pure Luxury Lift & Firm Mask, Cucumber Gel Mask Extreme De-Tox™ Hydrator, Rose Stem Cell Bio-Repair Gel Mask, Cucumber Gel Mask Extreme De-Tox™ Hydrator and Pumpkin Enzyme Mask Enzymatic Dermal Resurfacer. With each mask being 1.7 FL oz., you can’t beat the price of $75, considering the value of the set is $254.

Each mask has benefits and disadvantages, but below you can find more details to see whether or not the gift set is for you. 

Key Ingredients

The gift set’s key ingredients from the Peter Thomas Roth website include:

• Botanical Blend: The luxurious cocktail of natural oils, butters and extracts, including Sunflower, Apricot, Peach, Rosehip Seed, Almond, Pomegranate, Shea, Elderberry, Jojoba and Olive to help replenish, nourish and moisturize the look of skin.
  • Papaya Extract: Rich in vitamins, this natural enzyme helps soften the appearance of skin.
  • Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA): Chemically exfoliates to help reveal a fresher, more youthful and radiant appearance.

Irish Moor Mud Purifying Black Mask

This mask is everything you need when you want to bring all the gunk trapped in your pores to the surface and cleanse your skin. The very messy yet decongesting mask that hydrates contain a special odorless 9,000-year-old Irish Moor Mud that assists with drawing out oil, dirt and grime while it still infuses your skin with essential moisture, vitamins, minerals and potent antioxidant benefits. 

My review: I could see right away after using the mask my skin felt cleaner and my pores looked even smaller than before. However, be prepared to have literally every pimple or zit pop up the next morning. I don’t recommend doing this mask the night before an important event or day of. Using this mask twice a week though could really improve your skin complexion. 

Hungarian Thermal Water Mineral-Rich Atomic Heat Mask

This mask is a little different than most. After you apply the mask and massage it onto your face for three minutes, you activate the heat by wetting your fingertips with cool water and massaging the mask into the skin. The heat activation opens up pores and optimizes nutrient absorption. The texture is somewhat gritty but feels like wax when dry. You probably won’t mind the weird sensations or feelings from this mask after seeing the results. 

My review: Your skin will thank you after using this, my skin was noticeably softer and healthier looking after it. The next day I woke up looking like a mermaid goddess with glowing skin that looked youthful, vital and smoother. Peter Thomas Roth describes the mask as “a fountain of youth mask that harnesses the power of Hungarian thermal water, botanicals and modern technologies.”  

24K Gold Pure Luxury Lift & Firm Mask

Your skin will feel priceless in this mask and you’ll look even better than a million bucks. This pot of golden glittery goop firms your face’s appearance and gives you an excellent glow. The mask is also infused with skin-tightening caffeine and peridot, which is an excellent gemstone rich in magnesium. It helps to give your skin a re-energized look. 

My review: Trust me, this mask is golden, it made my tired, saggy face look bright and plump. It also made my deep raccoon eye sockets disappear. The mask really made me feel awake and look like I had actually gotten not just a night’s worth of good sleep but at least a whole week. 

Cucumber Gel Mask Extreme Detoxifying Hydrator

This mask is particularly nice when you really want to relax. You can pop this in the fridge for even more pampering and relaxation. It’s fantastic for extremely dry skin or sunburn, so don’t forget to take it this spring break as you relax on the beach. 

My review: It’s extremely hydrating and helps any dry skin no matter how dehydrated or flakey. I recommend using a small amount of this mask, it goes a long way. 

Rose Stem Cell Bio-Repair Gel Mask

Peter Thomas Roth states that this gel mask is “an invigorating mask with cutting-edge plant biotechnology that isolates and replicates the perfect rose stem cells for the skin to leave skin appearing silky soft, radiant and youthful. With state-of-the-art, 21st century breakthrough technology, five rose plant stem cells (Rose Commiphora, Desert Rose, Damas Rose, Pale Rose and White Rose) are blended with four rose extracts (Rosa Damascena, Rosa Canina, Rose Hip Seed and Rose Water) in a cooling gel to help improve the look of skin vitality.” 

My Review: This mask can be worn overnight for extra hydration and popped in the fridge for added cooling. This is also a lovely mask if you like a lot of hydration but not the messy sheet masks that drip away. It’s a cure for any dry face. 

Pumpkin Enzyme Mask Enzymatic Dermal Resurfacer

This is the most delicious mask anyone could ever imagine. It smells like pumpkins hence, the title of the mask and is a holy grail that not only smoothes your skin but also makes it look brand new and perfect. Make sure to wet your fingertips when applying this mask, or you’ll feel like your sanding your face. The mask is a triple threat explained by Peter Thomas Roth, “A triple-action manual, chemical and enzymatic exfoliating treatment that exfoliates with Pumpkin Enzyme, peel with Alpha Hydroxy Acid and polishes with Aluminum Oxide Crystals to reveal smoother, younger, revitalized-looking skin.”

My review: If you get your hands on any of these masks definitely go with the Pumpkin Enzyme Mask Enzymatic Dermal Resurfacer. When I used this mask it was as if I had been born with a new face. My face was noticeably softer, cleaner and brighter. It restored the youthful glow in my cheeks. Plus, the exfoliation from the mask is by far the gentlest I have ever experienced, but it’s also one of the best results I’ve ever gotten. 

My Final Thoughts:

Overall, I do recommend buying the six-piece Mask Frenzy Gift Set because you get your money’s worth, and each mask is a wonderful addition to anyone’s skincare regimen. There is something for everybody. 

Rose is a sophomore at WVU majoring in Exercise Physiology with a minor in psychology. She plans on going to medical school to become a pediatric cardiologist. Rose is a very passionate and strong-willed character who never stands down and is always showing love. She's a daredevil willing to try anything new or crazy. You can find her hiking in the woods, kayaking, gazing at the stars or exploring something new in the city.
Her Campus at West Virginia University