Amizade – What Does That Mean?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Friendship. That is what Amizade means, stands for and encompasses through all of their trips to countries all over the world. Not only does Amizade help communities to achieve their goals, which can be anything from building a library in Ghana to offering assistance at orphanages in Bolivia, but they also make partners with people from all walks of life. Amizade listens first and then works with certain communities to help overcome any obstacle they feel is prevalent in their community.

Amizade is an equal opportunity, non-profit organization with two locations in Morgantown, WV and Pittsburgh, PA. This does not mean that only students in West Virginia and Pennsylvania can participate in their programs. In fact, you don’t even have to be a student at all. Amizade accepts participants of all ages to participate in their program. No matter what your age, location or background, Amizade will find a program that is perfect for you.

Now, I know exactly what you are thinking. You might think that studying abroad is too expensive. I thought the same thing, but Amizade has a page dedicated to the scholarships available. In fact, over 50% OF the students who apply for a scholarship receive funding and awards that vary from $100 to $1,250! Students who earn course credit can even use their financial aid.

Shawnna Mullenax, a senior at WVU, participated in the Bolivia Semester.

“It brought to life all of the things I had been reading about in my classes at WVU. I learned about life in another culture with my own eyes. Through my interactions with people in Bolivia I learned that there are many different ways of looking at the same problem or situation,” Mullenax said.

Junior Brian Gardner said nothing less of his Spring Break trip to Jamaica.

“I have studied abroad before and this trip was better than my others,” he said. “Studying abroad is one thing, but living within the community, connecting with other people, and working towards a common goal is better than just studying.”

Amizade is offering upcoming winter breaks to Bolivia and Ghana that each last two weeks. They are also approaching spring semester trips to Bolivia and Tanzania, as well as summer trips to India, Brazil, Ghana, Tanzania and Poland.

To learn more about the Amizade and upcoming trips, visit http://amizade.org or call 304-293-6049 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting            304-293-6049      end_of_the_skype_highlighting. You can also stop into their office on the Downtown Campus at 343 Stansbury Hall.

Devin is a sophomore at West Virginia University, class of 2013. She was a direct-admit into the School of Journalism as a freshman, where she is now majoring in Public Relations with two minors in Political Science and Professional Writing & Editing. Devin started her journalism career in Fairmont, WV. In high school, she served as the Editor-in-Chief of the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 Maple Leaves Yearbook, which went on to receive a Silver Medal in the Columbia Scholastic Program of Achievement. She was a columnist for her local newspaper, The Times West Virginian, for two years. During her senior year in high school, Devin was a columnist for a national magazine, Gladys, where she went on to become the Public Relations Manager. At WVU, Devin is a member of Chi Omega Sorority. In her spare time, Devin enjoys drinking skinny vanilla lattes, watching Saturday Night Live (re-runs, of course, because she is never home on a Saturday night), and buying cocktail dresses. When she grows up, Devin wants to be a lawyer.