7 Ways to Make the Most of Being Stuck on the PRT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

You’re on the PRT, wedged uncomfortably between two strangers and counting down the minutes until the doors slide open and you can escape to class or that meeting or, if you’re lucky, your bed. But then tragedy strikes. The lights flicker, once, then again, and then go out all together. You feel the tell-tale sign of the breaks kicking in as you slowly roll to a stop. You’re stuck—stranded!—on the tracks in a small box full of people as the voice on the intercom crackles to life. They’re aware of the problem, and they’re working to get it fixed. You should be moving again in under fifteen minutes. But what do you do until then?

1.     Call/text your parents. When was the last time they heard from you? If you’re guilty of neglecting to check in with your parents, use this time to drop them a line. They’ll be overjoyed to hear from you (and it’s not like you have anything better to do right now anyway)!

2.     Study something. If you can access notes or listen to recorded lectures on your phone, take this time to do some studying. By using the ten (or fifteen, or—the horror—twenty) minutes you’re stuck to do something productive, you’re less likely to feel like the PRT kept you from getting stuff done.

3.     Talk to the person next to you. You’re both on your phones, or staring out the window, or staring at your hands—anything to avoid the dreaded eye contact—but by striking up a conversation, you might find yourself with a new friend! Commiserate together about how much the PRT sucks. Misery, after all, loves company.

4.     Tell jokes. There was once a guy on the PRT who decided to use the five-minute ride as his own private comedy club and had the whole car in stitches by the time the doors opened. If you’re outgoing enough (and know any jokes), give this method a try. You’re guaranteed to brighten somebody’s day with a little unexpected humor!

5.     Don’t be so negative. Worrying isn’t going to make the PRT start working again. Even if you have somewhere important to be or are about to be late, just relax. Stressing yourself out by thinking about worst-case scenarios is only going to make the time pass more slowly, and much more unenjoyably.

6.     Check your to-do list (or make a to-do list). It’s no secret that an organized life is a happy life. Use this time to take a look at your tasks for the week and plan out when you’re going to do what. By the time you finally make it to your destination, you’ll have a plan and (hopefully) less stress!

7.     Respond to those emails you’ve been ignoring. You know, the ones that you said you’d reply to “later?” The ones that have been sitting in your inbox for a week now? In the words of Shia LeBeouf, just do it! You’ll feel better with one less thing to worry about when the PRT finally does start moving.

Hollee is a freshman strategic communications major with an emphasis in public relations. She's passionate about vegetarianism, running, and putting peanut butter on everything.
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.