25 Things We All Wish We Knew as Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

As a graduating senior from West Virginia University, I thought I’d be a good idea to pass along a blog post highlighting: 25 things I wish I knew as a freshman. Whether you’re an incoming freshman, or a fellow graduating senior, here are some interesting tips worth reading.

1. Create a bucket list early on in your college career.
2. Don’t put ALL of your trust in your adviser; double-check your degree requirements before scheduling.
3. Invest in a pair of rainboots and a raincoat.
4. You don’t have to be best friends with your roommates.
5. But be nice to your roommate.
6. Meet everyone in your dorm; they are just as excited to meet you as you are to meet them (this only lasts for about 2 months).
7. Take advantage of your 101 classes, they are the easiest classes you’ll ever have.
8. You DON’T have to choose a major as soon as you enter college.
9. Utilize the library, rec. center, writing center etc… you’re paying for them through your tuition anyway.
10. Don’t wear a lanyard; you WILL look like a freshman.
11. Don’t wear your freshman t-shirt until you are at least a junior.
12. If you’re moving into a dorm do not bring your entire closet, it will not fit.
13. There are tons of shortcuts on the WVU campus, chances are there is one to help you get to where you’re going– find it.
14. Take advantage of the Brooks Hall elevator (you’re welcome).
15. If you need a ‘filler’ class, take Dance 101, Theatre 101, or Agriculture 101.
16. Remember when the dining halls didn’t swipe your I.D. the first weekend? That works for everyone.
17. Keep in touch with your high-school friends, but don’t use them as an excuse to not make new friends.
18. DON’T GET A TATTOO/PIERCING just because everyone else on your floor is.
19. Go through recruitment. Even if you don’t end up joining a sorority at least you can say you experienced it.
20. Don’t feel the need to get ‘hammered’ every single night. Underage citations are a very real thing.
21. GO TO FALLFEST. Even if you are sober or don’t like the artists, you’ll have fun.
22. Before committing to a long distance relationship think long and hard about it, because it typically sucks.
23. Chances are, you DO NOT need to purchase every ‘required’ textbooks on your syllabus.
24. BUT READ ALL OF YOUR SYLLABI, CAREFULLY.
25. Be nice to everyone. You’ll never regret being nice to someone, even if they are an enemy– kill them with kindness!!

Rachel is a junior at West Virginia University and a direct-admit to the P.I. Reed School of Journalism, majoring in public relations with a minor in dance. She is the treasurer of the WVU chapter of Public Relations Student Society of America and a member of the WVU Dance Ensemble. Rachel is currently an intern with the Morgantown Area Chamber of Commerce, where she single-handedly designs, writes and edits the monthly newsletter. She also works part-time at Guess. Writing, dancing and fashion are all passions of Rachel’s. In her free time, she enjoys getting coffee, shopping (especially for high heels and dresses), tanning, sushi, reading, listening to music and being a closet movie buff. Rachel’s hometown is Pittsburgh, PA, where she hopes to return to live and work someday at a public relations agency.