10 Ways To Tell If You’re A True WVU Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

As Mountaineers, we all have a lot in common.  We root for the same team, we wear the same colors and we live in the same town.  Our classes are on the same campus and a lot of us see each other every now and then.  Because of this, it is usually pretty easy to spot a fellow Mountaineer.  Here are 7 signs that you probably go to WVU.

1.  You only know one version of “Sweet Caroline.”

No matter where you are, if you are a Mountaineer, you know the “right” words.  You aren’t afraid to shout it from the rooftops.  Plus, it’s an easy way to scope out fellow Mountaineers.  What’s that we say again? Oh yeah… Sweet Carolinee.. EAT S*$! PITT!!

2.  You’ve become far to used to unreliable transportation.

Mountaineers know how to get around no matter what the case may be.  The PRT is down?  No problem.  Mountaineers are the kings of back-up plans.  Getting used to horrible forms of transportation is just a part of your every day.  The only time it become an extreme problem is when you’re actually ON the PRT when it breaks down and you’re just left like “Yeah I didn’t want to go to this class anyways.”

3.  You have at least 5 selfies at Cooper’s Rock on Instagram.

Let’s face it.  When it’s perfect weather and there isn’t a home game, Cooper’s Rock is the place to be.  There’s no better way to spend your day than at Morgantown’s most beautiful scenic area.  If you don’t post a pic, did you even go to Cooper’s Rock?

4.  Your favorite day of the week is Thursday.

Who wouldn’t love 50-cent mixed drinks?  There aren’t many colleges that can say they have such awesome drink specials in the middle of the week.  Thanks for being you, Morgantown. 

Tuesday and Wednesday please don’t feel left out! We could never forget the amazing taco/tequila tuesday atmosphere at Fat Daddy’s or Bent Wednesdays – we cherish you. 

5.  You’ve mastered back roads.

From 3-6 p.m., all main roads in Morgantown are completely packed with traffic, and by packed I don’t mean there’s a lot of cars on the road, I mean it will literally take you 20 minutes to get from high street to the Rec Center.  If you are a WVU student, you have multiple ways to get from point A to point B without having to even touch traffic.  It might take some practice, but “if there’s a will there’s a way.”

6.  At least half of your wardrobe is blue and gold.

Let’s face it, there are a lot of WVU fans out there, but no one owns as much WVU apparel than students.  Half of showing our pride is what we wear.  Besides, blue and gold looks great on everyone.

7.  You’d rather go to a house party.

Going downtown to the bars is fun and all, but nothing beats a WVU house party.  Most of your memories were made there and you love the atmosphere.  You can always count on having a good time.

8.  You know every word to “Country Roads.”

It is basically a requirement here at WVU.  We cherish every word, so it is super important to every student.  It might even be your favorite song and honestly, did you even go to WVU if you never had your arm around the random person sitting beside you in the student section singing country roads after a big win? (answer: probably not)

9.  Your favorite holiday is St. Patrick’s Day.

This is basically the most looked-forward-to holiday at WVU.  Because of our “party atmosphere,” this is always a memorable one.  Students have their green picked out at least a month ahead and are counting down the days till it is socially acceptable to drink beer all day.

10.  You would argue with anyone that WVU is the best college in the country.

Because we are Mountaineers, we have more pride for our school and our state than anyone.  It doesn’t matter what they say, we always have the last word.  WVU holds a special place in your heart and you will always have its back.

So, if you spot another Mountaineer don’t forget to shout, “Let’s Go!”  I’m sure you will get a familiar response.

Kaitlyn is a senior print journalism major at West Virginia University with a minor in music performance.  She enjoys writing, playing music, being outdoors and binge watching Netflix.
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.