burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

I Spent 4 Days Looking My Best: Here is What Happened.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WSU chapter.

As a collegiate woman, there are few occasions for which I put on my best heels and walk out the door with a face done to the nines. Dressing up in college requires precious time that is often spent studying or catching up on much-needed sleep, especially with the beauty standards for women established by society. Last Saturday I went to the movies with a girlfriend to see the new comedy-romance combo “Crazy Rich Asians” that is based on the 2013 novel by Kevin Kwan. As I laughed and cried while crazy relatives immersed unknowing girlfriend Rachel Cho in the rich and demanding past of her boyfriend, a common theme struck me; the focus on fashion and personal appearance that is upheld in rich Chinese culture differ from the business casual look accepted in the professional world of America.

Many students who pursue an education at a college level hope to pursue a professional career where the dress standards do not tolerate Birkenstocks or sweatshirts. While students dedicate hours to acquiring the knowledge necessary to succeed in their future careers, few practice the self-confidence and professionalism necessary to flourish as an expert in their field. As I emerged from the film filled with flawless actors in trendy clothing, I wondered what would happen if I dressed to ‘Crazy Rich Asians’ standards and decided to give it a go.

Day 1

Day one was easy. I wore a white button-up with long tails over a pair of grey dress capris covered in a white diamond pattern and finished the look with white classic heels. I walked out the door with a full base of makeup on. I contoured with a natural eyeshadow accented with gold. Although I was fifteen minutes late to class, I felt confident albeit a bit awkward in my own skin.

Day 2

Day two was a bit harder. I wore plain white jeans with a flashy gold button-up top with cheetah print accents with leather ballet flats in gold to finish the look. When I finished my full face of makeup off with a purple smoky eye and added flashy gold earrings, I looked amazing! I felt more prepared to take on my job as a teaching assistant and had more free time during the day because of my early-morning prep session. Wearing makeup for more than three hours was more than I could bear, however, so it all came off when I walked through the door of my house. I felt like I couldn’t’t relax with my makeup done in such detail.

Day 3

Day three was very difficult indeed. I had no motivation to put on makeup, but I managed to once again achieve a full face with a natural eye alongside aqua dress capris and a loose, classy black top. When I shut the door behind my shiny black ballet flats, I could not wait to get home into my sweatpants.

Day 4 

Day four I wore jeans and a t-shirt to school and covered my hair with a ball cap in classic college fashion. Although I happily found twenty minutes to do my makeup in a way that complimented my simple style, I was happier still that I felt comfortable in my own skin again.

When reflecting on my challenge (though short-lived), I discovered that it is not the clothes you wear who define your professional capacity, but the way you conduct yourself in society. As an adult, the importance of professional appearance cannot be understated but instead selected for the right occasion. Professional dress elevated my self-confidence and helped me to worry less about how I looked during the day, as I had already put in the preparation necessary to look classy and presentable that morning. My appearance separated me from my peers, but more importantly separated me from my comfort zone. This experience has taught me to appreciate the effort that others go to during their beauty routines each morning, but not to compare myself to the appearances of others both on campus and on the screen.

I am a Chemistry major who likes to keep my mind open to new opportunity. I aim to lift up others around me, and make the world I live in a more accepting place.
I am a sophomore at Washington State University. I am getting a degree in International Business and am looking forward to a career in Non-Profit work! Be sure to check out WSU's Her Campus page!