How To Host A Dinner Party

Updated Published

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WSU chapter.

Hosting dinner parties can be easier than most think. The stress of planning and the reliance of family traditions can make it hard to think about doing. The chaos of inviting everyone, not having enough space, or not knowing how to cook can make holiday events seem impossible. You are not alone in this thinking.

I hope this collection of ideas and steps can make the process easier for holiday events or any dinner party. The earlier you start your own traditions or continue ones from home, the better. It can create a sense of nostalgia and togetherness with your peers in an entirely new way.

Planning

For me, even deciding to plan was the hardest part. I had never hosted anything close to semi-formal without my family’s support. After long talks with my roommate about what we were comfortable doing, we put together a plan. Before invitations were sent or even talked about, we decided it would become a potluck due to the amount of people we wanted to have over. We decided who to invite, and made sure to know who would be bringing significant others.

Affordable – If you are inviting a large number of people or friends who are incredibly busy, the app “Howabout” may be helpful. I personally love this app and use it to schedule plans, no matter how small they are. You will not be able to please everyone with what day your event is. Planning as far out as possible is best, but even then, a college student’s schedule is extremely chaotic. Getting a rough estimate can help before giving a final answer.

Extra- If you have the time or a smaller party size, you may want to put your own personal touches with invitations. Handmade invitations can be a very memorable way to invite your guests. Even the most simple design can go a long way. The few times in my life that I have gotten a handmade card, I have kept it. It is something that has been truly dying over the years. However, do not feel required to do something you don’t have time for. Hosting or even just planning is already doing a lot.

A good middle of both of these would be using Evites! Evites were all the rage as a kid. While not as popular anymore, they are still a great digital service to send invitations.

Hosting with small spaces

College housing is not known for its large size. Hosting can be extremely difficult when it comes to this. Knowing how many people are coming to your event is imperative but not a reason to cancel dinner altogether. If your crowd is too big or planning is too chaotic, an option can be a dinner out or simply coffee. While expensive, people use the holiday season as an excuse to see loved ones. The same genuine love and memories will be shared no matter where you go for a meal.

Affordable- Sitting on the floor can be more enjoyable than people think for hosting. While it may be a necessary option, there are plenty of ways to make it fun. Dollar store tablecloths can be used as faux tables. This can make it easier for people to know where to sit and keep the accessibility of the room simpler. Depending on your dollar stores nearby, getting a holiday-themed tablecloth may also be possible.

Extra- If you’re in an apartment or have good enough weather, hosting outside may be possible. If it is winter, another option is using shared spaces in your area. This may look like taking a meal to the dining hall if they allow outside food or in a housing lounge area.

During

Eating and hosting can already be a lot to handle, especially if it’s your first time hosting a dinner party. Having planned activities or conversation starters during dinner can help people get to know each other. This isn’t always needed but can make the dinner into an easier event.

Affordable- The size of your event can dictate the activities done throughout. This can be from charades or even taking it back to a classic truth or dare. In my friend group, a good round of cards comes out at most events. You really don’t have to overthink it, but reaching out to people beforehand can be helpful to see if anyone has any specific games they want to bring. 

Extra-

For our Friendsgiving this year we are planning to do a mystery game. While they can be a bit pricy, there are some great options online. If you have the time and the creativity, this could be a fun option to make on your own. Some groups may even want to dress up for their character and add elements of their own. I recommend figuring out if this is something you want to do at the start of your preparation. Many groups may love this, but some may just as strongly dislike it.

Clean up

No one enjoys this part. It’s best to plan ahead to make this process as seamless as possible.

Plastic tablecloths can be your best friend during this time. Not only is this an easy solution to help with the extra mess, but they’re also easy to purchase for cheap at most stores. If this isn’t possible, a few simple cut-out paper grocery bags can work for your table. Once tapped down, your guests can even write on them depending on how much of a clean eater they are.

I hope you have a happy holiday season and a successful party!

Alden Perrine is the campus correspondent at Her Campus for the Washington State University chapter. She is in charge of scheduling, managing the team, and does the final round of edits. She is very passionate about writing and will also write from time to time for Her Campus. Beyond Her Campus, Alden is currently working on her Literary Studies major, with a creative writing minor and a certification in editing and publishing. Her goals are to publish a book and become a screenplay writer or work in publishing. Her favorite things to write about include pop culture, specifically Taylor Swift, films, TV shows, and novels. Her favorites of all of these things are (currently) the Red album, The Breakfast Club, Gilmore Girls, and all things Taylor Jenkins Reid. In her free time, Alden enjoys traveling! Her favorite places she has been to are Italy and Greece. She hopes to travel to many more places in the future.