Taylor Swift Album-Inspired Artist Recommendations

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WSU chapter.

Taylor Swift’s diverse discography has left a huge mark on the music industry, with each album serving as a distinct chapter in her artistic evolution. Let’s explore recommendations for artists that resonate with the essence of Swift’s key albums.

1. Debut: Sheryl Crow and Brandi Carlile

Swift’s debut album, a canvas of youthful wonder, has many similarities to Sheryl Crow’s rock-infused country and Brandi Carlile’s soulful folk. Just like Swift’s innocent embarkation on her musical journey, Crow and Carlile maintain an authentic sincerity that harmonizes effortlessly with the spirit of Swift’s debut era.

2. Fearless: Maddie Poppe and Vampire Weekend

In the pop transition of Fearless, Maddie Poppe’s genre-blending and Vampire Weekend’s indie-pop capture Swift’s fearless experimentation. Poppe and Vampire Weekend embrace a similar fearlessness and blend genres much like Swift did during this pivotal phase.

3. Speak Now: The Regrettes and Beach Bunny

The Regrettes and Beach Bunny channel the rebellious spirit of Swift’s Speak Now, sharing unfiltered honesty and introspective lyricism. Just as Swift took control of her narrative in Speak Now, The Regrettes and Beach Bunny showcase a similar boldness in their storytelling.

4. Red: Sunflower Bean and Wallows

Sunflower Bean’s dreamy indie rock and Wallows’ alternative sound reflect the emotional complexity of Swift’s Red. Navigating the spectrum of emotions in Red, Sunflower Bean and Wallows provide nuanced sounds that embody the album’s eclectic and vibrant nature with touches of coming-of-age themes.

5. 1989: COIN and Bea Miller

COIN’s indie-pop and Bea Miller’s bold pop sound align with the electrifying energy of Swift’s 1989. Swift’s pop metamorphosis is mirrored in the dynamic sounds of COIN and Bea Miller, offering an anthemic and energetic parallel to 1989.

6. Reputation: BLACKPINK and Tyler, the Creator

BLACKPINK’s global pop appeal and Tyler, the Creator’s boundary-pushing hip-hop resonate with Swift’s darker Reputation era. Embracing a darker aesthetic, BLACKPINK and Tyler, the Creator reflect the edgier tones found in Reputation, showcasing a global and genre-defying influence.

7. Lover: King Princess and Lunar Vacation

Lover celebrates love in various forms, and King Princess and Lunar Vacation capture its romantic and whimsical essence. King Princess and Lunar Vacation, like Swift in Lover, infuse their music with an enchanting quality, exploring love in all its facets.

8. Folklore: Aquilo and The Lumineers

Aquilo’s atmospheric sound and The Lumineers’ folk-rock mirror the introspective beauty of Swift’s Folklore. In alignment with Swift’s renewed exploration of folk influences, Aquilo and The Lumineers also intertwine a tapestry of storytelling and introspection.

9. Evermore: The Paper Kites and Lord Huron

The Paper Kites and Lord Huron intertwine indie folk and Americana, crafting a sonic landscape that resonates with the melancholic storytelling found in Swift’s Evermore.

In this harmonious extension of the folk-infused narrative, The Paper Kites and Lord Huron’s music are very similar to the introspective beauty found in Evermore.

10. Midnights: lovelytheband and 1-800

The contemporary undertones of lovelytheband and 1-800 seamlessly blend with the diverse atmosphere of Swift’s Midnights album. Swift’s curated album reflects her evolving tastes, and lovelytheband and 1-800 embody these electric sounds that captivate her ear.

These artist recommendations not only serve as a bridge to Taylor Swift’s multifaceted musical journey, but also shine a spotlight on the wealth of talent within the indie and emerging music scenes. From her debut’s innocence to the contemporary allure of Midnights, each suggestion encourages fans to dive into a diverse array of genres and discover the hidden gems crafted by smaller artists.

Haley is a writer at the Her Campus Washington State University chapter. She’s excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and write articles. Haley is currently a sophomore majoring in computer science at WSU. Along with Her Campus, she is involved in a multitude of other clubs and organizations across campus. She serves as the project lead for Engineers Without Borders and SWEster chair for Society of Women Engineers. She is also a member of the Gamma Phi Beta sorority. In her free time, Haley enjoys hiking, thrifting, and spending time with friends and family. She also loves listening to music, with some of her favorite artists being Fleetwood Mac and Tyler the Creator.