Life > Experiences

5 Tips For Transfer Students

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WSU chapter.

5 Tips For Transfer Students 

Deciding to transfer to a four-year university or a new school in general comes with a unique set of challenges and opportunities. The transition of moving somewhere new can be exciting but also intimidating. Being a transfer student myself, I’ve learned a lot and there are many things I wish I had done sooner. Here are five tips for transfer students.

1. Embrace change

Change can be scary, but college is one of the first experiences for many where we learn to adapt to change. You might be unfamiliar with the city, people, pace, etc., but it’s important to approach unfamiliarity with an open mind. Being open-minded in college will give you the ability to fully indulge in your experience and learn so much about yourself.

1. Connect with Transfer Student Resources

Most colleges offer many resources specifically for transfer students. The Transfer Center at WSU coordinates many events and gives opportunities to connect with other transfer students. Emails will be sent out often with the event details and it is the perfect opportunity to meet others who also relate to the struggle of being a transfer student.  

1. Join clubs

All colleges have an endless selection of clubs that you can sign up for and meet new people through. There is something for everyone and you will find a club (or multiple) that interests you! If there’s something new you want to try or learn more about, don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. Joining clubs is one of the best ways to meet people who share common interests and making friends will come naturally. 

1. Talk to your classmates

If you’re a transfer student there’s a big chance you are in your third year, so most people in class will have a related major to your own at this point. If that’s the case, you will be seeing familiar faces in the next few years as well as in your other classes. No matter what your circumstances are, it can’t hurt to talk to your classmates and make friends! It can be scary especially if you’re not the most extroverted person, but it is so worth it to connect with your classmates.

1. Go to school events

There are so many events to attend, and this includes sport events! Going to football games and other sporting events will introduce you to people you might not have crossed paths with. WSU holds events throughout the school year other than sport events and who knows, you might meet some of your lifelong friends if you just step out of your comfort zone!

Sydnee Green is a writer at Her Campus for the Washington State University chapter. She enjoys writing about entertainment and pop culture! She is also excited to work alongside the Her Campus team to create interesting and exciting articles. Sydnee is from Southern California and attends the Pullman campus of Washington State University. At WSU Sydnee is a strategic communications major with a focus on public relations. She is a senior and expected to graduate spring of 2024. She works at the Adobe Lab on campus helping students with the Adobe programs and watching over the lab. In her free time, Sydnee enjoys thrifting, going to concerts, listening to podcasts and being with her friends. She is a Sanrio lover and is always rewatching her favorite shows Pretty Little Liars and The L Word. Sydnee hopes to study abroad next semester and travel more in general but her favorite destination, hands-down is Amsterdam.