This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

March is Women’s History Month! To celebrate, I made a playlist containing some of my top female artists and songs. Here are some of my favorites:

“American Woman” by Muddy Magnolias

This song was featured in the 2016 female-led rendition of Ghostbusters, starring Melissa McCarthy, Kristin Wiig, Kate McKinnon, and Leslie Jones.

This catchy, upbeat song is about being a “strong-ass American woman” who refuses to be walked all over and mistreated.

My Favorite Lyric: “I’m a whole lotta, you gotta / Recognize a real-ass woman, if you can’t, don’t bother.”

“ICY GRL” by Saweetie

“ICY GRL” is my sorority branch song. Whenever I hear it, I think of my amazing sorority sisters who constantly support and inspire me. I am also reminded of the amazing memories that we share and when we randomly burst out rapping the lyrics.

This rap song is all about working hard, making money, overcoming obstacles, and not letting anyone hold you back.

My Favorite Lyric: “Charging by the minute ‘cause my time is very pricey / Yeah, I be where the bosses be / Judging from my vibe, you can feel it in my energy.”

“Did I” by Kehlani

This is one song that I will always blast through my speakers in my car. I admire and appreciate Kehlani’s empowering message of hard work. Plus, I love the sound and beat.

In “Did I,” Kehlani sings of defying the people who doubt you and working your way to the top. 

My Favorite Lyric: “You used to living through all the screens / You used to wearing designer things / You don’t know nothing ‘bout working your way from the bottom and earning every ring.”

“Unwritten” by Natasha Bedingfield

A CLASSIC. Yet another one that I will turn up in the car. When I hear it, I think of my sister because although we have varying music tastes, this is one song we will always belt at the top of our lungs together.

“Unwritten” tells of your life being an open book just waiting to be written by the choices you make.

My Favorite Lyric: “Feel the rain on your skin / No one else can feel it for you / Only you can let it in.”

“Second Wind” by Maren Morris

I couldn’t make a playlist without including at least one country artist. Maren Morris is all about women empowerment. She is a member of the country group, “The Highwomen” along with Brandi Carlile, Amanda Shires, and Natalie Hemby, which was created in response to a lack of female artists in country music.

“Second Wind” talks about staying strong while facing criticism and using that criticism as fuel to come back even stronger the next time. 

My Favorite Lyric: “You can’t forget about me / While you weren’t lookin’ I was gettin’ even higher / Say what you want about me / Your words are gasoline on my fire.”

Here’s the link to the Spotify playlist so you can jam out on your commute or sing along with your girl friends: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6F4Ax2130GCgV2pUzMbRdN?si=XMCYab0bTBWZhlX9buEMdQ&utm_source=copy-link

Becca Gilliland is a senior studying psychology with minors in criminology and sociology. She is a campus correspondent for the university's chapter.