Tony Luisi ’13: Environmentalist, Performer, and Musician!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Name: Tony Luisi

Year: Senior

Major: Environmental Science

Hometown: Hamburg, NJ

Tony Luisi was nominated for Her Campus WPUNJ as a musician and a performer, but this musical talent also has multiple other passions, including a growing concern for Earth conservation. Tony is employed at the American Democracy Project at WPUNJ, which serves as his tether to politics and current issues. As a performer, he is no stranger to the stage. Tony has landed major roles in past productions such as “Tartuffe”, “West Side Story”, and “Grease”. He is also anticipating another performance at WPUNJ called “The Dining Room” this semester, so keep your eyes and ears open for the opening night! With a great vocal range, and a passion for theatre Tony hopes to keep the performing aspect in his life forever. He’s got a witty personality and a passion for everything he does, which makes Tony a friendly face at WPUNJ!

HC: When did you start performing?

TL: I’ve been performing ever since I was three. Someone would take out a video camera and I would be jumping up and down in front of it. I’ve been singing ever since I can remember. According to my parents I used to sing but not very well. Then in the 5th grade I joined the choir and realized I wasn’t that bad. In the 6th grade I auditioned in the select choir and got in. I did that from then till high school. Then in high school I auditioned for All County Choir and got into that. I also auditioned and got roles in the High School plays and productions. In high school is when I realized I was pretty good.

HC: Do you play any instruments?

TL: I picked up bass guitar my sophomore year of High School and I’ve been playing ever since. Then I picked up guitar in 2008, self- taught. I’ve been in bands before and it was fun while it lasted. When you play with a band, it gets better. You get better because they’re good, and it really helps.

HC: What really sparked your passion for doing the musicals and the plays?

TL: I got a radio for Christmas when I was about 9 or 10, and I would listen to Z100 religiously. Before I went to school and when I came home. I became almost obsessed with listening to music, and it was just something I could do. I was never really into sports, and it was from that where I found out that I could show my true colors. I tried out for “The Music Man” my sophomore year of High School and the camaraderie and the friends that you make while performing kept me going. There is no drug in the world that can make you feel what you feel when you get up on stage and perform in front of a crowd.

HC: Do you ever get nervous?

TL: I don’t get nervous anymore. Nerves I find, although they might screw you up, they also keep you focused. They keep you going, and they keep you on task.

HC: What do you want to do with environmental science?

TL: I’m actually looking into forestry, or to work for the Department of Parks and Forestry. I’ve worked for the State Parks service in the past, as a seasonal employee. I would really love to end up not being a Park Ranger, but being an environmentalist at a state park or some sort of state forest because the environment is such an important thing. There’s a lot of work do to. We’re beating up the environment, and then handing it a bandage.

HC: Aside from the environmental sciences, what else do you have in store for your future?

TL: I’m going to maintain this musical streak running through me, there’s no way I’m giving it up. Every time I do a show I always say it’s the last one, then next semester rolls around and then I always say, “Let me just try out.” It’s kind of my excuse. I’ve also dreamed of directing a show. My friend from back home wants to put on a play for the summer, so that’s something I really want to accomplish. If there was an opportunity to run for some kind of office it would be nice to do that. I have all these ideas, and they are nothing that has been passed through before; they’re new.

Megan Galema is a senior at William Paterson University in Wayne, NJ. She is a double major in Print Journalism and Public Relations. She was appointed the development manager and managing editor of Her Campus WPUNJ, where she gets to work hands on with the new members of the chapter. Megan began as a contributing writer since it first launched in March 2013. She also works for Undergraduate Admissions at WPUNJ as the special tour coordinator and writes for The Pioneer Times. Megan is also a contributing writer for an online music magazine, EDGE, that highlights local bands, charity organizations and up and coming photographers.  
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"