Speaking Up: Activism On Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Between February’s Black History Month and March’s Women’s History Month, it can be a time when you can see many things happening on campus that may spark curiosity in you. So if you’re saying to yourself, “I’d like to be more involved,” we have all the reasons for you to go ahead and do so.

As undergraduates, we are in the midst of a unique experience. We are at a prime position to express our voices. Consider the campus culture we are submerged in; we’re encouraged to join clubs and support community service; in our classes we discuss heavy issues like sexism and racism (looking at you College of Humanities and Social Sciences); and as members of the 21st century (as our professors love to call us) we will fall behind without being able to identify social issues. Of course, being involved and caring for issues is a time investment as well as an emotional one. Being a social justice advocate or an activist of any kind is not an easy thing to be, especially when a harsh reality can be so discouraging.

But let me fill you in on an even bigger reality: As college students we have a privilege and ability to be heard, far greater than we are led to believe. As members of the global north, as members of an intellectual and educated society, and simply for being young, we hold a certain power that can make impact. The youth vote is influential, demonstrations can speak to the community, and our unique use of social networking can prove to be extremely influential (the popularity and success of the Ice Bucket Challenge anyone?)  

Many of WPU’s finest students actively let their voices be heard around campus, and they have compelling reasons to do so. 

“Activism is important to be involved in as a college student. Not only are we preparing ourselves for our future careers, we are also preparing ourselves to being future leaders, community builders, and those in society who we see now as the example for how to live. We must not only advance ourselves in the pursuit of career building but also see how we as individuals can impact the community and world we live in. We do not live in an isolated bubble; we are all part of a our local and global community. To ignore the needs/tribulations of our fellow people is an injustice in itself. It’s been difficult but I can understand why people of our generation may not be proactive in being an activist. The overwhelming responsibilities of studying, paying off loans, working part or full time to pay for your education, family responsibilities, and other necessities are prioritized in a person’s life. I understand the idea that if helping someone is out of your reach, but small things such as donating to credible charities or volunteering at local food banks and shelters is support enough. My reason for being a student activist is that I have compassion and empathy for all people. When in times of being frustrated or unsure of how to help people, I know that through education and taking part in local community efforts that my small contributions add to the larger scale effort of bettering this world. I believe that all people deserve equal opportunities and deserve to be seen as equal in the eyes of their fellow humans. I try to live my life through feminist principles and then implement them through my social activism.” – Desiree Feliciano – Feminist/Social activist

“I do it because I have the privilege of attending college when there are many others that I have known that deserve to get an education; actually all people should, to create a more educated and involved populace. Moreover, university education is about uplifting our conscious states to critique the world around us and the -isms that affect us today. From tax cuts to the rich, loopholes for corporations, all those who extrapolate so much from our country from resources to labor, the exploits of private prison industry, “war on drugs”, and police brutality, we see a diminishing of forward progression more than ever. We see issues presenting themselves, and I would rather live a life that follows the footsteps of revolutionaries and activists because life is about more than myself and profit.” – Daniel Santiago, activist

“It’s important to get out to try and educate people. There are a lot people who are unaware as to certain important issues around today, and our job is to educate as many as we can and attempt to make an impact.” – Meredith Fazzone, activist

So what can you do?

The very first step is to join a group on campus that tackles an issue close to your heart. Look through Pioneer Life and see what our campus currently has to offer. 

Here are some that take action as part of their mission statement:The Feminist CollectiveChosen: The Gay Straight AllianceEarth First: Student Action CommitteeYoung Democratic SocialistsEnactusStudents Against ViolenceSociety of Leadership and Success

Other clubs on campus also focus on varying issues, and many of the cultural clubs on campus take activist standpoints with issues relating to the group they represent. If you are passionate about something but don’t see a space for it on campus, start a new club for it! Considering the strength in numbers, once you’ve become a part of a group you will be able to gather and plan your next move to work towards bringing awareness to your issue. Even just gathering together to discuss the group’s thoughts on current issues can make an impact. 

From there, be as creative as you can. However you wish to spread your message, for example arts, communications, performances, social media, demonstrations, etc., go for it! The more creative and accessible your message, the greater the impact. 

Never under estimate you power; let your voices be heard collegiettes! 

Image source: http://www.otesha.org.uk/blog/1134/random/power-and-privilege.html/attac…

Image Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/msuarchives/4419912909/

Image Source: http://becuo.com/hands-making-a-peace-sign

Priscilla Cordero is a collegiette from WPUNJ. She is an Anthropology major with a double minor in Music Studies and Media Studies. She is a writer and holds the managing for HCWPUNJ. Her passions include culture, diversity, social justice awareness, feminism, positivity, creativity, and music. She is a member of the Honors College on her campus. In March 2014 Priscilla was awarded HCWPUNJ's Best Polls, Best Celebrities, and Most Spirited. A Jersey girl at heart, but she has New York City dreams. She loves to attend concerts, sing, read fashion magazines, travel, and blog (tumblr included)! 
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"