Small College Partying 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Ah, small colleges — where the walk to class is bearable and the friend groups are close (sometimes too close for comfort, but we’ll deal). If you’ve ever walked into the guy you hooked up with the night before (just keep walking and make no eye contact), you know you fall under the small college catergory. But let’s not forget the parties! We’ll admit, we’ll most likely never get I’m Shmacked to come party with us, but we’re an underestimated group in the area of college partying, and we think it’s about time we show you how it’s done — fun-sized. It’s time you know what to expect when a small college turns up. Here’s the 101.

If you attend a house party that’s spread the word, just know that you and your whole university will be attending, so saddle up and get ready to be herded into the basement like cattle. If you’re claustrophobic you may want to stick to a wall nearest to the exit for a quick escape if necessary. While big schools pack kids like sardines too, the smaller ones don’t always have the option to party hop, so once we’re in there, we stay and cram, unless we hear sirens (although that could be the music). But keep in mind: it’s a blackout, and cigarettes and strobes will most likely be your only source of light. So by the next day, you’ll wakeup sounding like Louis Armstrong and smelling like a bonfire, but it’s completely worth it.

The best thing about becoming friendly with your college’s sports teams and fraternities is that they’ll actually remember you the night after. Small universities have the upper-hand when it comes to making connections with people which leads to… (you guessed it) more parties! Attend some games, go to some frat parties, and you’re bound to be invited to the next throw down. This gives you party options which are sometimes rare at a small-time colleges. Take advantage! The more you turn up with your favorite frat or team, the better your chances of getting free booze. No more $5 entry fees, ya’ll. So get out there, and before you know it, you’ll be chanting “USA” at beer olmypics with the boys.  

We small timers don’t always have ragers… but when we do, all the kegs within a three mile radius are ours for the taking. Most times these events occur around holidays (can anyone say St. Patty’s Day rager?) or break, and they’re pretty unforgettable. We small schools have big parties in moderation, so every time one comes around it’s crazier than the next. Come test out your luck; you won’t be disappointed. Make sure your selfie game is strong that night, and you could end up with your next candid photo. But remember: classy, never trashy! And last but not least, let’s face the facts: you’ll probably end up accidentally grinding with someone at some point due to close proximity, and Snapchat will most likely be your enemy that night. Welcome to college…

Things to remember

•  You always have a choice; you don’t need to drink to enjoy yourself! 
  • Make sure you have a friend that goes with you or knows where you’re at when you decide to party!
  • If you do decide to drink, cover it at all times. If you put it down, it’s not yours anymore; get a new one. Better safe than sorry!
  • Watch out for creepers — these guys (or gals) can get under your skin and make you feel uncomforable, so make sure you have a wingman to save the night!

Photo Source #1

Photo Source #2

Photo Source #3

Samantha is a Junior and the president of Her Campus WPUNJ at William Paterson University in Wayne, New Jersey. She prefers the nickname Sam and is majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Visual Communication. She lives in Central Jersey and lives for the New York Rangers. She loves the outdoors and all things entomology, especially butterflies. When she's not catching up on her favorite Netflix shows she's either working out at the Rec, writing up a spicy new piece for Her Campus, or watching hockey. But most importantly, the way to her heart is some delicious sushi!
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"