Nutty Holidays of November 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

November seems to have come around the corner with blazing speeds. We’re half way through the fall semester. Man! I hope it slows down a little bit so I can catch up on some of my homework. Nonetheless, a new month means a new list of quirky (and not so quirky) holidays.

1: All Saint’s Day – A day to celebrate all Saints, known and unknown. Don’t ask me how to celebrate an unknown saint.

2: All Soul’s Day – All Soul’s Day is a day to feast and mourn those who are no longer with us. It’s meant to commemorate the dead in most Western religions.

3: Housewife’s Day – Housewife’s day is a day for all those lovely ladies and mothers who stay at home to pamper themselves. So for all you women who are the caretakers of the home, get out to the spa, get your nails done, or even indulge in some chocolate. Today is your day.

4: King Tut Day – When you think of an Egyptian Pharaoh, chances are you think of King Tut. Perhaps, you should throw an Egyptian-themed party in honor of his day!

5: Gunpowder Day – This might seem a bit violent. Despite how malignant the substance might seem, it’s actually responsible for a lot of success throughout history.

6: Marooned Without a Compass Day – In theory, this day sounds like a terrible, terrible idea. On the other hand, though, going on long drives with nowhere to go and getting lost is super fun. Just make sure you can find your way back!

7: Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds Day – This is by far the best day ever. Bittersweet chocolate and almonds are my favorite combination for desert and for anything really. Grab a bar and enjoy it!

8: Dunce Day – I’m not quite sure how you’re supposed to celebrate this holiday without being offensive. Nonetheless, you can just make a bunch of dunce cone hats and give them to your friends as a present.

9: Chaos Never Dies Day – You’ve got that right. Chaos never dies. So, it stands to say that Loki the God of Mischief and Chaos will also never die? Right? Right? We sure hope so!

10: Forget-Me-Not Day – I’m not sure if this day is supposed to signify the romantic sentiment of never forgetting someone or if it’s supposed to be a day dedicated to the forget-me-not flowers. Why not celebrate both? [pagebreak]

11: Veteran’s Day – Also known as Remembrance Day or Armistice Day, this day is meant to commemorate the end of World War I and the sacrifice of the men and women in the armed forces. Make sure you thank a veteran today!

12: Young Readers Day – This day is honestly a wonderful day. Encourage your little brother or sister to read. It can take their imagination on a great adventure. On average, children who read more often are better educated, too! Maybe you can volunteer to read a book to young children at your local library – anything to get young’uns reading!

13: National Indian Pudding Day – A version of hasty pudding, Indian Pudding got its name from Native Americans who helped substitute wheat for cornmeal, thus creating a new version. It’s usually served warm with ice cream or whipped cream. Perhaps you can learn a new recipe for the day and make a batch of Indian pudding to share with your friends!

14: Operating Room Nurse Day – OR Nurses have one of those professions that don’t get nearly enough credit for. Can you imagine what would happen if the surgeon asked for a scalpel and they handed them a stethoscope? OR Nurses are just as important, if not more important than the actual surgeons themselves, so let’s take this day to celebrate our OR Nurses.

15: America Recycles Day – That’s right we do! WPUNJ recycles, too! If you don’t already partake in this great habit, today is the day to start! Besides, green is definitely the new black.

16: Button Day – Do you like buttons? I certainly do. They make changing the channel and fastening clothing really efficient. Think about how your life would be different if we didn’t have buttons… You wouldn’t even be able to use any sort of electronics!

17: Homemade Bread Day – If you’re lucky enough to have an oven, there’s no excuse not to make your own bread today. Everyone deserves to experience homemade bread, so give it a shot, and share it with your friends.

18: Occult Day – This mysterious day is meant to appreciate everything odd and spooky and supernatural. So hooray for vampires, ghosts, witches, and werewolves!

19: Have a Bad Day Day – You can be sure that this is one holiday I’m going to actively try to avoid participating in. No one wants to have a bad day, but inevitably this will be true for someone. At least you can blame this terrible holiday.

20: Absurdity Day – Monkeys, toe socks, colorful straws. Today is a great day to be weird (as is any other day). Find the most obscure things that you can and use them today.[pagebreak]

21: World Hello Day – nǐ hǎo, bonjour, guten tag, ciao, hola. Hello! World Hello day is a day to celebrate the different ways to greet someone. Don’t forget, there’s one greeting that transcends any language barrier: A smile.

22: Go For a Ride Day – Go for a ride! Take a plan, train, car, or bike – anything you can ride – and you’ll be doing it in style. You don’t need a reason to get on and have fun. The best rides come from no reasons at all.

23: National Cashew Day – November really is nutty. First Almonds and now Cashews? I’m sorry to those of you who have nut allergies; it’s really not your month.

24: Use Even If Seal Is Broken Day – I’m not so sure this is ever a good idea, despite what a silly holiday might be telling you. Do not ever, ever take medication or consume food products if the seal is broken. It could be dangerous. (This has been a PSA from your friendly neighborhood Her Campus chapter.)

25: National Parfait Day – Parfait is the perfect blend of granola, fruit, and yogurt. Yum. Not only is it super tasty, but it’s really healthy for you, too! It makes a great breakfast, and you can even make your own to avoid all the excess sugar!

26: Shopping Reminder Day – This is a reminder! Go shopping today (or this coming Friday!) Whether it’s going out for those shoes you’ve been dying to have or just for your weekly trip for groceries, make sure to go out shopping – we’re reminding you in advance!

27: Pins and Needles Day – Whether you want to spend today celebrating this holiday by hand sewing something new and creative, or sitting still for a while until your foot falls asleep, make sure you keep yourself occupied. Maybe you can sit still and stitch – that’s double the pins and needles!

28: Thanksgiving – Eat, drink, and be thankful. Though this Holiday might be a bit deluded from its original intentions, don’t forget to gather around the table with family and friends and be thankful for the lovely meal. #hcwpunjthanks

29: Black Friday – Always on the Friday after Thanksgiving, Black Friday serves to dump all the messages of being thankful out the door for greed and great sales. But hey, if you can get a $120 pair of boots for $40, we’re not judging you. We’d go for it, too.

30: Stay At Home Because You Are Well Day – It’s a shame this day falls on a Saturday this year. Nonetheless, I’m going to take every opportunity to use this excuse to sleep in late and watch TV all day!

Thanks again to holidayinsights.com for helping us compile another lovely list of holidays. Next time around, we’ll be featuring Daffy December Holidays of 2013. Come back next month!

Photo sources:

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 4
Photo 5
Photo 6
Photo 7
Photo 8
Photo 9
Photo 10

Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"