Katie Yanguas ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Hometown: Edgewater, NJ

Major: Psychology

Minor: Communications Disorders

Hobbies: Photography, Writing, and Music

Fun Fact: I’ve lived in the Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong, and Los Angeles before New Jersey.

HC: Can you give me a quick rundown of how you’re involved on campus?

KY: I am actually part of the Filipino Club, Christian Fellowship, and also Psi Chi, the honor society of psychology. I like being involved by being in clubs that interest me and interacting with the people in these clubs. I also like being involved on campus spontaneously, like an event that I can be involved in that same day. Sure, I’ll do it!

HC: What is your greatest accomplishment thus far?

KY: To be honest with you, I think my greatest accomplishment isn’t something you can hang on a wall or put on your resume. I believe the greatest accomplishment I have made thus far is finally being able to say I know who I am and I am proud of who I’ve become. It’s been a long long road getting here and I’m convinced this road is far from over. But looking back at who I was and looking at who I am now and the potential to be greater in the future is an accomplishment and a blessing within itself.

HC: What is your favorite thing about WPUNJ?

KY: My favorite thing is definitely the people on campus. Especially the people I had the opportunity to meet while being in WPUNJ. They are so different and full of color. It allows me to be open to different people. I also like the population size of WPUNJ; it’s big enough to see a new face everyday but small enough to know you’ll see them again.

HC: If you were given a chance to go back in the past, what memory would you relive?

KY: Oh man, that’s a tough one. I think I’ve had so many memories in the past that I would love to relive. But I actually think it was my first time traveling alone; I planned everything all by myself. I practiced where I had to go by Google satellite. I booked my own room and everything! I was so lost and scared, but I think that’s why I enjoyed it so much. The fear and thrill of the unknown were my adrenaline rush. Traveling alone is always my favorite thrill.

HC: If you were to give your younger-self a piece of advice, what would it be?

KY: I think I would say to my younger self to stand firm and work hard and have faith, and everything else will fall into place. We can’t waste time fearing the future because it will be the death of our happiness. All we can really do is work as hard as we can, and the rest is up to God. 

HC: What do you hope to accomplish within the next year?

KY: Well, I am graduating in less than a month, and I am taking a year off and working full time at a physical therapy clinic before I make my way to graduate school. But I’d love to travel. See the world! Be a globetrotter. Experience and soak in all the different cultures that are out there. I would definitely feel accomplished if I achieved that.

HC: If you fast-forwarded 5 years from now, what would you be doing?

KY: Changing the world! At least in my own little way, however God wants me to change the world. I do hope for things such as being able to travel and set up clinics in countries that can’t afford much. I would be trying to do anything and everything that might heal the world a little more; God only knows we need more people who care. Everything else? I’m just going to let those things unfold.

Jenna is the Co-Founder, President and Social Media & Events Director of the WPUNJ branch of Her Campus.  She is a senior Marketing major with a minor in Public Relations.  In the fall 2014 semester, she interned with In Touch, Life & Style and Closer Weekly at Bauer Publishing in the public relations department.  In the spring 2015 semester, she is interning with Jaguar Land Rover North America in the network development department.  She is the Student Representative for the PR & Marketing Committee of WPUNJ, a MTV Trendspotter for MTV Insights and blogger of collegiate advice.  She is a member of Beta Gamma Sigma and Lambda Pi Eta honor societies, and will graduate Magna Cum Laude.  Previously, Jenna worked as a Student Ambassador and Tour Coordinator in the Admissions Office at WPUNJ, was a member of the Student Public Relations Association (SPRA) and was a publicity intern for Kim "Kim D" DePaola, owner of POSCHE Boutique in Wayne, NJ, who is featured on the Real Housewives of New Jersey.  Jenna's interests include dancing, shopping and hanging out with friends.  She loves everything pink and Britney Spears!