The Importance of Our Majors and Minors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

The fall semester is winding down, and it’s time for students to prepare and register for Spring 2015 courses. Around this time students are seeking advisement from their advisors and using resources in order to register, such as the Undergraduate catalog and Ratemyprofessors.com. But what can undeclared students do?

There are several ways that students can create an academic plan and choose a major that is right for them. But it all starts by students paying a visit to the Gloria S. Williams Advisement Center located at the Student Center in Room 301.

According to the Admissions homepage, “about 35 percent of students begin their academic career at William Paterson as undeclared.” So if you’re undecided about your major, don’t worry; this is common and not something to fret over.

At the Advisement Center, there are special seminars and academic advisement, all specifically provided for undeclared students. It is highly suggested that students take the first step and apply themselves. When it comes to making decisions, it all starts from within.

When deciding on a major, students should ask themselves questions. What am I passionate about? What are my interests or talents? What kind of career do I want to have?

And on the other hand, some students have a declared major but decide to change it. According to the Advisement Center homepage, now it’s more convenient to do so because students can complete declare/change major applications online. Once these applications are completed, students will be notified via email when a decision is made.

There are also students who have a declared major and completed the requirements for it. But in most cases, even after completing UCC requirements, students might have at least 18 more credits to go before they are eligible for graduation. That is where the notion of choosing a minor comes in. Most minors here at William Paterson University are 18 credits and usually consist of an introductory or survey course. The rest of the courses are electives where students can decide what is best for them.

According to a New York Times article, Michelle Slatalla writes, “Minors, along with double majors, are increasingly popular as students try to master multiple subjects on the way to flexible careers or future education.”

Overall, college is a journey, and the courses that students take are part of getting to the destination. With an academic plan intact, students are able to focus on other aspects such as clubs/organizations and internships. When it comes to majors/minors students can either choose or lose.

Sources:college-graduation.jpgwpconnect.wpunj.edu/catalog/?level=UGwww.ratemyprofessors.com/www.wpunj.edu/admissions/undergraduate/academic-programs/undeclared-students.dotwww.wpunj.edu/advisement-center/choosing-a-major-minor.dotwww.nytimes.com/2008/04/20/education/edlife/guidance.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

She is a 23 year-old Puerto Rican young lady from Paterson, NJ. She is currently a Senior at William Paterson University with a major in Communications- Public Reations and an English-Writing minor. She is a future leader who dreams of becoming a freelance writer while working in the field of Public Relations. In her spare time, she loves to read, watch reality tv shows, go shopping, and get her nails done.
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"