The Importance of Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

February is a month filled with celebrations such as Valentine’s Day and President’s day. However, there is one celebration that is observed all month long, which is Black History Month. This year’s observance starts Sunday, February 1st and ends on Saturday, February 28th.

According to the History Channel’s website, Black History Month is a celebration of the achievements made by African Americans and “a time for recognizing the central role of African Americans in U.S. history.” This celebration comes right after Dr. Martin Luther King Day, which is observed in the middle of January, right after his birthday on January 15th.

As college students we have commemorated Black History Month for as long as we can remember. Some of us have started learning about it since Kindergarten or grammar school, while others may have started later on in middle school. Still, it is never too late to learn about the prominent African American professionals Black History Month aims to celebrate, many of whom are famous firsts in history. For example, Madame C.J. Walker was the first African-American woman to become a millionaire. Also, Thurgood Marshall was the first African-American to become appointed as a U.S. Supreme Court Justice.

Black History Month commemorates African American heritage as well. According to the World Channel website, “it celebrates the heritage and remembers the people, past and present, of the African diaspora.”

V.P. Franklin, a University of California professor, described in his journal article, “Introduction: Explorations within the African Diaspora”, that the African diaspora refers to the communities from all over the world (which includes the Americas, Europe, and Asia) who are descended from Africa. There are many people in society that identify themselves as Afro-Latino, Afro- European, Afro-Asian, et cetera.

Regardless of ethnicity, college students should take some time out to honor Black History Month, and there are ways to do so. Essentially, students can attend the African Heritage Celebration events on campus that are sponsored by William Paterson University’s Campus Activities.

Another way is to read books written by well-known African-American authors. Some great examples are The Color Purple by Alice Walker, Beloved by Toni Morrison, or The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X. Indeed, these titles are just to name a few.

Black History is American History, and many notable people can attest to that. Maya Angelou once said, “Won’t it be wonderful when black history and Native American history and Jewish history and all of U.S. history is taught from one book. Just U.S. history.”

Marty Meehan, Chancellor of the University of Massachusetts Lowell, also said, “Black History Month must be more than just a month of remembrance; it should be a tribute to our history and reminder of the work that lies in the months and years ahead.”

Overall, I think that Black History Month should be celebrated today, tomorrow, and always — starting on Sunday February 1st. We, as a society, have come too far in history to not continue on with the legacy of our ancestors.

Sources:black history month.jpghttp://www.dwightcarter.com/gallery.html?folio=Portfolio&gallery=Gallery%202&skipno=0&currentIndex=1

She is a 23 year-old Puerto Rican young lady from Paterson, NJ. She is currently a Senior at William Paterson University with a major in Communications- Public Reations and an English-Writing minor. She is a future leader who dreams of becoming a freelance writer while working in the field of Public Relations. In her spare time, she loves to read, watch reality tv shows, go shopping, and get her nails done.
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"