How to Handle Last Minute Finals Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Once again we’ve hit that time of year where spring semester is coming to a close, and deadlines are approaching. This is the time where we can become highly unmotivated and unfazed by the amount of work that has sprung among us. To keep from suffering and having last minute regrets, here are some ways you can get over your Finals Blues.

1.       Relax

If you’re all tense about your upcoming finals, chances are you may feel unprepared, which in turn can affect how well you do. Instead, take breathers, focus on the task at hand, and sip some tea while you’re at it. Relaxation helps keep the mind peaceful and calm, which in the end helps alleviate all the stress and worry that have mounted up.

2.       Set a Schedule

As a college student, chances are you’re taking more than three classes. This means that you may have three or more finals which may be hard to juggle, especially if they are close together. Putting together a schedule can help you stay on top of what’s due and what to study for. Schedules can help you use your time wisely; without schedules and to-do lists, getting work done may seem to be almost impossible especially around finals time. 

3.       Study

The most important thing to remember is to study at least 1-2 weeks in advance. There’s no way that you would be able to cram a semester’s worth of work overnight no matter how great a student you think you are. Instead divide your time wisely; as stated above, stick to your schedule and avoid distractions at all costs.

4.       Get enough sleep and eat a balanced breakfast

Lack of sleep and energy never end well, especially when you need them most. Instead make it your duty to get to bed at a reasonable time. In the morning you will feel refreshed and ready to take on the day ahead of you. Eating a balanced breakfast will not only keep your energy levels up but will also keep you energized for the majority of your morning.  A refreshed and clear mind may increase your chances of acing your exams.

*Bonus* Don’t wait until the last minute

Some people can get away with doing so, but for the majority of students, getting stuff done at the last minute doesn’t end well. By following the steps above, the likelihood of getting prepared last minute is not likely to happen.

By setting schedules and appropriate times to get things done, all shall go well during these hectic times. The end goal is to pass all courses with your desired grades, and it can be achieved through focus and dedication. If all else fails, just look ahead and notice how close you are to the finish line.  Just stick to the tips above and all other procedures that work for you. And to all of my fellow college students, good luck!

Nerveline DarcelinSeniorOrignally from Union, New Jersey Just a girl, making a way for herself :)
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"