How to Go Green on Campus: The Guide to Becoming More Environmentally Friendly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

With a full school schedule, work hours, and an important social life, finding time to make changes to benefit the environment can seem like a challenge. Well, think again!

Her Campus WPUNJ is here to tell you all about simple, green changes that can have a long-lasting effect on not only the environment but yourself as well!

In the dorm room

1. One of the easiest things to do is to switch the lights off every time you leave the room. It may seem like common-sense, but some students tend to forget.
  2. To change the earth, start by changing your bulbs! According to Energy Star, by replacing one light bulb with a light bulb that has earned the Energy Star seal, we could prevent 9 billion pounds of greenhouse gas emissions per year! They generally cost more upfront, which can turn off students on a budget, but in the long run you’ll actually be saving money.
  3. Get a recyclable trash can. Some colleges supply them, but if not, a can with the recycled logo can help you to remember to recycle daily. Also, make sure you check with your college town to see what material is accepted for recycling.

In the classroom

1. Reuse, reuse, reuse! Instead of buying new pens, binders, and folders every semester, why not reuse the ones you already have? Pens usually last a long time, and binders and folders are sturdy enough to get more than a 3-month usage out of them. When it comes to paper, make sure you buy 100% recycled. According to GreenAmerica.org, using recycled paper helps preserve forests and generates less pollution during manufacturing.
  2. Buy or rent used textbooks. This option not only saves you the big bucks, but it also reduces the greenhouse gases that go into making a textbook.
  3. Use a reusable water bottle. Next time you are sitting in a class, look around and notice how many of your fellow students are using a plastic water bottle, and just think how many of them end up not even recycling it.

In the cafeteria

1. If you’re usually a brown-bagger, why not invest your money into a reusable lunch bag? You’ll not only be saving money in the long run by not having to continuously buy new bags, but you can look stylish with a unique bag to carry around.
  2. Ditch the tray. It doesn’t seem like a big deal, but think of all the water and energy that goes into cleaning them, especially after thousands of students use them each day.

Getting into the habit of doing these things will not only save the planet but will also save you big bucks. Remember, these changes may seem small, but the impact that they have is enormous!

Tara Davis-Scholle is a junior at William Paterson University. She currently writes for Her Campus, and has written for USA Today and PreviewStay in the past. She has been an Events and Marketing intern for Habitat for Humanity of Trenton, and in her free time, Tara likes to read, travel, and go to the Jersey Shore!
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"