Kellyn Simpkin-Hat Girl Writing Book Grass Outside
Kellyn Simpkin / Her Campus
Career > Her20s

A letter to my past self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Dear Past high school self,

I am writing to you from your senior year of college. I know you are going through some rough things right now, but I am here to tell you that each year you are getting stronger and more confident. It may not seem like it, but when you are 26 years old, you will look at yourself in the mirror and not recognize where the time went. You are not the same person you once were.

I know right now you are insecure about how quiet you are. You feel lonely due to the anxiety you continue to struggle with. But I promise you, you are not alone and will learn to love yourself. You are not supposed to be like everyone else. You are unique the way you are, embrace your inner introvert. Don’t be ashamed of the scars you are covering up. Don’t look back and have any regrets. Only see your growth!

Don’t worry about friendships that fall apart and your classmates who may not be the nicest to you, because you are not going to see them again. You will never compare yourself to them again and will create your own path that will make you passionate. You will make new friends who love you for you and will be by your side for the rest of your life.

I know your job in Shoprite causes you a lot of anxiety and you may feel doubtful that you will ever feel confident to hold another job again, but you will. The more life experience you gain, the easier it becomes.

You will make a promise to yourself once you enter university to get involved as much as possible and have an eventful college career. And boy did you! You are involved in so many clubs and even held some leadership positions. You are also currently part of a show with one of your favorite cousins. And an operetta of all things! I know that it may be hard to believe, but you do a great job pushing yourself out of your comfort zone.

Lastly, don’t worry about being behind on your path. Don’t be in a rush. There is no one way to live life. Don’t compare your life to anyone else’s even if you think they have it all together, because chances are they don’t.  Where you are now is where you are meant to be. Life is not a race. Please never forget that!

I will forever love you,

The 26-year-old you

PS. You know how all those years you struggled to talk due to your social anxiety? Maybe those hardships were a disguised blessing because you are studying to become a Speech-Language Pathologist! Congrats! You will be helping people like yourself and more!

Hi everyone