This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Women are powerful people who should be respected. These are 10 dates to remember and be proud of if you are a female.

1. 1792: Sarah Pierce establishes first institution in America for higher education of women in Litchfield, Connecticut.

2. 1850: Harriet Tubman joined the Underground Railroad efforts, leading slaves to freedom.

3. October 23–24, 1850: First National Woman’s Rights Convention is held in Worcester, Massachusetts. It draws 1,000 people, and women’s movement leaders gain national attention. Annual national conferences continue to be held through 1860 (except in 1857).

4. 1876: Susan B. Anthony and Matilda Joslyn Gage disrupt the official Centennial program at Independence Hall in Philadelphia, presenting a “Declaration of Rights for Women” to Vice President Ferry.

5. September 30, 1918: President Wilson finally addresses the Senate personally, arguing for woman suffrage at the war’s end.

6. December 1, 1955: Rosa Parks is arrested in Montgomery, Alabama, sparking the American civil rights movement.

7. 1968: Shirley Chisholm becomes the first black woman elected to the House.

8. 1972: Title IX of the Education Amendments prohibits sex discrimination in schools.

9. 1992: A record-breaking number of women is elected to Congress.

10. 1997: Madeleine Albright is sworn in as the first female Secretary of State.

Bonus Jonas!

11. YOUR BIRTHDAY. Be the difference in the world. Make bold moves and make men scared of the power you hold!

All information, statists, and dates were found and created thanks to Mary Ruthsdotter at the National Women’s History Project and a timeline from the March 1993 issue of Scholastic Search.

Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"