WMU Sorority Girl Volunteers Above Requirements

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

Western Michigan University student goes above and beyond, lending a helping hand to those in need.

Kendall McCarthy became a sorority girl when she joined Alpha Omicron Pi fall of 2014 and has been actively involved with an organization called Love Your Melon. McCarthy said she tends to volunteer nearly 100 hours per semester.

“I got involved on campus with volunteering because I’m not from here so it’s a easy way to meet people,” McCarthy said.

Two college students founded love You Melon during an entrepreneur class at the University of St. Thomas. Their goal is to give hats to every child battling cancer.

McCarthy said one of her most memorable volunteering experience was when she was invited by the Detroit Pistons to sit court side at a game. McCarthy was given this opportunity through her work with the Love Your Melon apparel brand.

Western Michigan is one of the many colleges across the U.S involved with the organization. She said each school forms a campus crew. WMU’s campus crew officially became a RSO (registered student organization) this past semester. McCarthy is on the board with four other members of the crew, and works solely on their public relations.

McCarthy and the other board members reached out to the Detroit Pistons’ Game Changer program via email, and waited less than a week for a response. Game Changers invited the board to a game and rewarded them during the halftime show. After being escorted to the center of the court, McCarthy said they were handed a Detroit Pistons jersey with “GAME CHANGER” on the back, and a big check for 1 thousand dollars, donated by Belle Tire.

“It was exciting because it was good PR for Western and for the organization as a whole, all our hard work got to pay off,” McCarthy said.

Love your Melon donate their earnings to two foundations: Pinky Swear Foundation and CureSearch. McCarthy said the Pinky Swear Foundation uses the money to help families with children battling cancer, while the money from CureSearch is donated to finding a cure to pediatric cancer.

“I like it because we get to know directly where the money is going,” McCarthy said.

This past October McCarthy had the opportunity to do another Love Your Melon inspired event. The campus crew visited the Children Memorial Hospital in Southbend, Indiana. McCarthy said they entered each individual patient’s room dressed up as super heroes and personally delivered hats to the patients.

“It’s really nice because it gives the parents a break and we get to talk to the patients to ease their stress too. They can have their rough days,” McCarthy said.

McCarthy said they spend 20 minutes or longer with each patient and gave out 20-50 hats during their visit.

At the end of 2015, WMU’s Love Your Melon Campus Crew reaches their goal of raising 1 million dollars.

“It’s become such a big thing on our campus. Everyday I see a new Love Your Melon hat,” McCarthy said.

WMU’s campus crew is hosting another event on Feb. 6. They are teaming up with Susan G. Komen Michigan and St. Julian Winery. to bring a Girls Night to the Kalamazoo State Theater. The event is held to honor those who have been affected by breast cancer and to celebrate recovery.

Girls Night: The Musical puts you into the lives of five friends as they re-live their experience with breast cancer. The event will also host a karaoke night for those who are interested.

McCarthy runs the Western Michigan University Love Your Melon Facebook page to keep students and supporters updated on ways to donate and get involved. She said that she enjoys her role in keeping her organization relevant and with hopes of doing more volunteer work in her community.

I am a senior at Western Michigan University studying all sorts of things. Film, Video, and Media Studies Major with minors in Journalism and English: Rhetoric and Writing Studies. I can basically do it all.. You can normally find me dancing my booty off to live music, yelling at the Detroit Red Wings through the TV screen or trying to be crafty. I like to write. I like to take photographs of nature on my fancy camera. And I like to pet my cat.