A Song to Silence the Chaos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

Alright ladies, we have to stick together now more than ever.

Trump’s presidency is so far not going in our favor, but we’ve proved to the world that we will not be silent. Personally for me, I’ve had a lot of trouble ignoring this pain he has caused me. I would like to begin with saying, you may disagree with my article but this is solely my personal opinion and he has already made actions against everything I believe in:

1. Trump signed an executive order to resurrect the Mexico City policy. According to an article on the Washington Post, “the policy forbids foreign nongovernmental organizations that receive federal funding from performing or promoting abortion services through their work in other countries.” 

2. Trump continues to show his lack of enviromental concerns by signing an executive action to continue the construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline and instructing the Environmental Protection Agency to freeze its grants and contracts, which is, according to an article on the Washington Post, “a move that could affect everything from state-led climate research to localized efforts to improve air and water quality to environmental justice projects aimed at helping poor communities.

3. Trump works on confirming his campaign promise by spending billions of dollars to divide the Mexican and American people.

Unfortunately, this is not the end of his unpolitical madness..

I’ve been having trouble being myself lately. I feel shut down. I feel pushed back. I feel stepped on and betrayed.

I’m stuck in a rut, but this song gave me hope.

According to an article from the Washington Post, Connie Lim wrote the song, “Quiet,” a year ago after she suffered through an abusive relationship. Lim, who goes by MILCK, assembled a group of 25 women from different states to join the #ICANTKEEPQUIET chorus.

Their first mission= #ICANTKEEPQUIET choir of D.C

The women performed flash mobs during The Women’s March on January 21st, 2017. I began to understand why some people refer to the song as the anthem of the Women’s March.

Their voices express power and emotion so beautiful and elegant.

Their voices come together as one, showing the world how to come together for a cause.

We are one. We can do it.

“Quiet”

Written by MILCK and AG

Produced by AG

put on your face

know your place

shut up and smile

don’t spread your legs

I could do that

But no one knows me no one ever will

if I don’t say something, if I just lie still

Would I be that monster, scare them all away

If I let the-em hear what I have to say

I can’t keep quiet, no oh oh oh oh oh oh

A one woman riot, oh oh oh oh oh oh oh

I can’t keep quiet

For anyone

Anymore

Cuz no one knows me no one ever will

if I don’t say something, take that dry blue pill

they may see that monster, they may run away

But I have to do this, do it anyway

A one woman riot, oh oh oh oh oh oh oh

Oh I can’t keep quiet

Let it out Let it out

Let it out now

There’ll be someone who understands

Let it out Let it out

Let it out now Must be someone who’ll understand

Let it out Let it out

Let it out now

There’ll be someone who understands

Let it out Let it out

Let it out now

I can’t keep quiet

I am a senior at Western Michigan University studying all sorts of things. Film, Video, and Media Studies Major with minors in Journalism and English: Rhetoric and Writing Studies. I can basically do it all.. You can normally find me dancing my booty off to live music, yelling at the Detroit Red Wings through the TV screen or trying to be crafty. I like to write. I like to take photographs of nature on my fancy camera. And I like to pet my cat.