Safety on Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

Spring break is just around the corner; and, students here at WMU are giddy with anticipation. Each year, thousands of college students head to a variety of vacation hotspots for some well-deserved fun in the sun. If you’re lucky enough to be heading somewhere warm this spring break, then here are some tips on how to have a safe and stress-free vacation.

Do Your Homework
When you’re on vacation it’s easy to put off doing that homework or assigned reading. Nobody wants to lug a history book with them to the beach, unfortunately, professors will be expecting you to pick up right where you left off upon returning from spring break. So rather than cramming a week’s worth the work into the night before classes resume, (and ultimately killing your newly acquired vacation buzz) plan ahead! Take a look at what’s going to be due the week following spring break now. Get ahead of schedule so that when it comes time to lay out at the beach, you can read about the latest fashion trends and not the industrial revolution.

Stick Together           
When on vacation, it’s important to stick with your friends. Most vacations destinations have plenty of clubs and bars for college students to enjoy. Although it can be easy to lose your friends in the crowd, make sure you stick together. Vacationing often creates a false sense of safety, which is why it’s important to be aware of your surroundings and use the buddy system. According to the Rape, Abuse & Incest national Network, college women are four times more likely to be sexually assaulted than any other age group, and these odds double when on spring break. Don’t assume that someone you’ve just met will look out for your best interests, and if you feel unsafe in any situation, go with your gut.

Protect Yourself from Sun Damage
Beach time also means exposure time, which is why it’s incredibly important to use sunscreen. We know you’ve heard it all before, but sun exposure can hurt your health both now and in the future. Always use a daily SPF of at least 15, and if you plan on being in the sun for an extended then use a higher SPF like 45. Make sure to reapply every 1-2 hours; just because you put sunscreen on before you went to the beach, doesn’t mean you’ll be protected all day. Wear a hat and sunglasses with UV protection, both are trendy so no excuses.

Watch Your Drinks

Alcohol has become a notorious part of the typical college spring break. According to a study done by the University of Wisconsin, 75 % of males and 43.6% of females reported being intoxicated daily while on spring break. You should not drink if you are underage, but if you are of age and decide to drink then make sure you know your limit prior to drinking and stick to that limit. Do not accept a drink from a stranger and never leave your drink unattended. If a member of your group becomes intoxicated, do not leave them alone.  If they pass out, make sure to lay them on their side to prevent choking, and if they become unresponsive call 911 immediately. 

Sources
Rape, Abuse & Incest national Network
University of Wisconsin