Pre-Graduation Steps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

Have you had a friend that finds out 2 months into his or her “self-proclaimed” last semester that he or she is three credits shy of graduation or even a dreadful additional semester? Well, it happens more than one can say, causing frustration, anger, and nasty interactions with the advising offices. “You told me I didn’t need this class.” “None of those classes that you suggested counted towards my minor.” “Why are you even an advisor?” These are few of the many wails that have seeped through the cracks of the advising doors while I was sitting, patiently waiting my turn in the lobby. Luckily for me (knock on wood), I have not encountered a roadblock from walking across that stage in a solid four years.

But, wait, some students have pride staying extra semesters or even years, constantly switching majors and/or withdrawing from courses. They take the status of “Super Senior” to a whole new level; there are even Facebook groups titled “Graduating in four years is like leaving the party at 9 p.m.” I mean, to each their own, but my parental/financial support stops at four. So graduating this spring is my only logical option, unless I want to open numerous paychecks to end up just stuffing it into another envelope to pay off those extra loans.

So for those collegiates™ that want to graduate on time without hearing that you need one more Gen Ed in the humanities section at the 3000 and above level, here are some pointers that will help you avoid this situation.

Be Accountable– You know that WMU University and General Education Requirements fold-out that opens up and lists all the classes under each proficiency and distribution area you receive from your advisors? Keep it! This is an easy way to track what classes you already have taken and which you still need. Also, you should print off the requirements for your majors and minors. That way you will not need to only rely on an advisor to tell you what classes you need.

Keep the same advisor– Some majors have at least eight different advisors you can make appointments with. I highly suggest you keep the same one every time you visit the office. That way you can form a relationship with him or her and have higher trust in their abilities to advise. It’s hard for an advisor to open up a student’s profile for the first time, senior year and be able to give you a specific direction of what’s best for you and your future.

Audit– One of the most helpful and key tips I can give you is to send your audit in once you reach 88 credit hours. That way if you accidentally took the wrong class, you will have enough time to work the correct one into your schedule. An audit is the only official way of knowing what classes you need to take to graduate when you want to. This will save you money and so much extra stress. Applications for an undergraduate graduation audit can be found at your advising offices; you will need major slips, minor slips, and curriculum guides from the appropriate advisors. Then, submit this info to the Office of the Registrar. You will then receive an email from a graduation auditor, explaining all those final details until that big day.

Last, but not least, pass your classes. Senioritis can certainly cause quite some damage, but try to stay focused on getting those grades of “C” or better. Kalamazoo, we have had our ups and downs, but I am undoubtedly ready to check out. And for those who continue to say to me that I am leaving a party at 9 p.m. for graduating, I just know that there are better after parties out there, waiting for my arrival.