Learn Something New Every Day: Halloween’s Good, Bad and Overplayed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

I am a sucker for a good Halloween costume. I usually even take the time to commend the person for their awesome outfit, and this year was no exception. Although I went home for my mom and dad’s birthdays- I still went out to enjoy the scene. I would think it is safe to say that Ann Arbor (being a college town) and Kalamazoo (also a college town) had equal amounts of the same witty costumes. Needless to say, I think that overall I had a great night of people watching (including getting involved in kicking a girl and her 3 friends out of a bar). So, I wanted to let everyone know the good, the bad, and the overplayed costumes of Halloween 2011.

The Good

Why is it that all the good costumes involve a group of people? I always see people having the best compilation of ideas, effort, and finances to pull off a super awesome costume. My absolute favorite this year? Ghostbusters and the Jamaican Bobsled Team. The Ghostbusters had everything done perfectly. Backpacks, suits, evil ghost running around with them- it was FULLY planned and executed. The bobsled team carried around a bobsled and wore the suits. They were fantastic as they ran down the street and were yelling and singing. But don’t get me wrong- there are always really good solo costumes as well. This year, Sponge-Bob Sexy-Pants (pictured right) took the cake. Not original in any way…. Minus the golden DILDO he used as a nose. It was over the top and hilarious! 

The Bad
Usually bad costumes for me are those that are too tiny for someone to wear at night when it is 35 degrees. That’s just asking to be freezing all night! I also absolutely hate costumes when they are straight out of the package. I saw a skimpy Cheetah and a Mermaid that fit BOTH of these categories. The WORST however, is the ever present No costume. COME ON! Why not dress up? Its all for fun anyway! Put on a stupid mask and I’ll still be ok with it- as long as you participate!

The Overplayed
So, this category by no means is saying that someone had a bad costume. All I’m trying to say is that these are the costumes I saw the most. A great example being Black Swan/White Swan combo. I saw some really good costumes and really good make-up, but I just saw a lot of them. Next is Where’s Waldo. The pack of people I was with included a Waldo and I always think it’s a great costume, just extremely popular. You will probably see a few of them in a night too (my sources tell me that they didn’t see too many here in Kalamazoo… but I did in A2!)! Next, the most famous duo of the millennials.  Mario & Luigi. Again, probably some really good outfits and details- just overplayed. (Hey! Next year lets get the whole gang! I’ll be Princess Peach of course). This could potentially make its way up to BEST costume. #justsayin

Until Next Time!
-Alyssa

Editor: Katelyn Kivel

Katelyn Kivel is a senior at Western Michigan University studying Public Law with minors in Communications and Women's Studies. Kate took over WMU's branch of Her Campus in large part due to her background in journalism, having spent a year as Production Editor of St. Clair County Community College's Erie Square Gazette. Kate speaks English and Japanese and her WMU involvement includes being a Senator and former Senior Justice of the Western Student Association as well as President of WMU Anime Addicts and former Secretary of WMU's LBGT organization OUTspoken, and she is currently establishing the RSO President's Summit of Western Michigan University, an group composed of student organization presidents for cross-promotion and collaboration purposes. Her interests include reading and writing, both creative and not, as well as the more nerdy fringes of popular culture.