This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

How to Rock Your Finals

It’s that time again: the temperature is dropping, snow may be dusting the yard outside your window, oh, and of course final exams. Finals week, and those leading up to it, can be incredibly stressful, especially when all you want to do is cuddle up in bed with a hot drink and a good show. I find at this time, that overwhelming feeling can take over and even taking your next step can prove difficult. Here are some tips and tricks to make your way through finals like the rockstar you are:

1. Take a step back. Take a deep breath and clear your mind of your current stress and worry. Contrary to popular belief, worrying excessively does not improve your current situation. A clear mind and calm presence will allow for you to effectively evaluate your current situation.
  2. Write everything down. I am a big advocate of visualization and find that writing everything you need to get done not only allows for you to externalize all of your due dates, but is also a good reminder of what needs to be down. This list might seem endless, but creating one large list then allows you to further manage it. Your goal here is to get everything down on paper so you can prioritize later.
  3. Utilize a planner! This is key. You want to make sure you have enough time to prepare for exams, finish projects, and attend any other obligations you may have. Blocking out time for everything lets you create a schedule that will work with your life. A planner is the perfect tool to break up that super long list you previously made. Assign yourself a few tasks per day to give yourself ample time to complete your list!

4. Be realistic. I too would love to be able to complete ten assignments in a day, but that is just not realistic. Be honest with yourself. If you can’t sit down and study for six hours straight, don’t put that into your schedule. Leave yourself time for relaxing and other fun activities.
  5. Play to your strengths. If you are a visual leaner, make notecards or copy down online notes. If you are an auditory learner, record yourself saying material or get a program that reads terms to you. If you love mnemonic memory tricks (Never Eat Soggy Waffles anyone?!) like me, create those for yourself! You will learn the material quicker if you play to your learning style.
  6. Take time to destress and unwind. Wearing yourself before a final is actually very self-destructive. The last thing you want to do after preparing for weeks is too forget all that you learned or oversleep the day of your exam. Make sure you’re getting sleep. That all-nighter in theory sounds great, but the after effects may not be. Make relaxation a priority because it is just as important as studying.

Good luck on your future finals everyone!! 

Marketing student at Western Michigan University with a passion for fashion and sports. 
Johanna is the campus correspondent for the WMU chapter and a senior at Western Michigan University. She is studying journalism and political science. She hopes to spend her life writing and influencing the world around her with her words. A member of the Western Michigan University Marching Band, Johanna has been in love with music for as long as she can remember and tries to balance out her busy life between writing and playing music.