Famous Ladies We Love: Michelle Obama

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

She is known as the first lady or Michelle Obama. She’s has those dazzling arms, bold bangs, and a stellar wardrobe, but she is so much more! This country’s leading lady has lead an amazing life, and done even more amazing things.

Michelle LaVaughn Robinson was born on January 17th, 1964, in Chicago, Illinois. Michelle grew up in Chicago with her parents and her older brother Craig. Her parents were strong believers in education, with the help and support of her parents, Michelle skipped second grade. Her hard work in school didn’t stop there.

Michelle went on Princeton University to study sociology and African-American studies. She them went on to study at Harvard Law School. Michelle soon got a job working at the law firm Sidley and Austin, in Chicago. This is where Michelle would meet Barack. He was a summer intern at Sidley and Austin, and she was his adviser.  Barack asked Michelle out, but she felt it wasn’t appropriate for the workplace. She soon changed her mind, and they later fell in love. Barack proposed two years later. In 1992 the couple was married.

Michelle went on to start a career in public service. She held many positions such as executive director for the Chicago office of Public Allies, associate dean of student services at University of Chicago, and vice president for community and external affairs at the University of Chicago Medical Center, according to biography.com.

Barack’s political career took off when he ran and was elected to an Illinois seat in the U.S. senate. Michelle stood by him through his campaign; she even put her own career on hold to help out. Michelle said she made the “commitment to be away overnight only once a week to campaign,” (biography.com). Even during campaigning Michelle still puts her daughters first, Malia, 14, and Natasha (known as Sasha), 11. She’s stood by her husband during both of his presidential elections. In 2012 she even gave a speech at the Democratic National Convention on behalf of her husband.

While serving as first lady, Michelle has a new passion. She wants to promote healthy living for children! Michelle has started a program called Let’s Move. Her program is about educating everyone in America about making healthy choices, improving school lunches, and being active. You can learn more at, www.letsmove.gov/about

Why do we love Michelle Obama?

Michelle’s hard work has earned her powerful jobs. She set her mind on educating America about healthy living, and now she’s doing it! Michelle is also a mother and fully dedicates her self to her two lovely daughters Malia and Sasha. Don’t forget about her duties as the first lady. Michelle juggles it all: being a fabulous mother, her tough work as first lady, and spending her free time promoting healthy living. Michelle has been featured in Essence magazine, 02138 magazine, Vanity Fair, and People magazine, according to Biography.com. According to IMDb, Michelle has recently be on Sesame Street, The Jay Leno Show, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, Good Morning America, The Colbert Report, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, Charlie Rose, Rachael Ray, and many other TV shows. She may have a busy life, but she still manages to do it all! Is there really any reason not to love this extraordinary woman we know as Michelle Obama?

Sources:

Biography.com

IMDb.com

whitehouse.gov/administration/first-lady-michelle-obama

actual link:  http://www.whitehouse.gov/admi…

I am a sophmore at Western Michigan University. I'm double majoring in political science and enviromental studies, and double minoring in gender and women's studies and journalism.I love's reading the newspaper, I'm a self-proclaimed news junkie. I also love volunteering, spending time with my friends. In my rare free time I love to watch movies and televison shows a season at a time. I comedies, espically British comedies, the dryer the better! I also love spending time out side, whether it's camping, hiking, or just enjoying our world's natural beauty.My future plans include saving the earth from climate change and ensuring women's equality, well those are my long time goals anyway. After college I plan to work as a legislative aid or a political reporter. I currently serve as Her Campus WMU's senator in the Western Student Association. I also work as a reporter at my home town newspaper, The South County News.To my friends I'm known as the poltical coffee addicted shoeaholic feminist, but you can call me Morgan. Follow me on Twitter: @macfarlane_mOr email me: morgan.k.macfarlane@wmich.edu 
Katie King is a senior at Western Michigan University majoring in journalism and minoring in anthropology and gender and women's studies. This will be her second year writing for HerCampus and before that she wrote for the Western Herald. She also wrote for L7 women's magazine in the summer of 2012. In her spare time Katie likes to hang out with friends, watch reruns of old shows and talk about why Chicago is better than Michigan. When she graduates she hopes to move to New York with her tabby cat, Ellie and write for a fashion magazine. However, she changes her mind quite often so who knows where she will end up!