Words of Wisdom: The End of Winter Hibernation.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

In all honesty, it’s become a pattern – throughout the first part of the spring semester, everywhere you walk, people are either consumed by their computers, lost in their iPods, asleep on YOUR favorite couch in Tyler, or saying things like, “Sorry, I’m just too tired.”  In fact, for the past few months the “I’m tired, sick, or have too much work” excuse has been used for nearly every event, ranging from IM games, to mixers, to social activities such as Campus Golf, Homebrew, or Derby Days (I am guilty of using it too).

However, THERE IS A LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL (The really long and cold and dreary and rainy tunnel otherwise known as ‘January, February, and March’).
In fact, for the freshmen that have yet to realize that spring semester at William and Mary DOES redeem itself in the end, I am here to tell you that sunshine or warm weather IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER.  I know, I know, I have a problem with excessively using capitalization, and I’m NOT working on it.

In essence, as the LAST 6 WEEKS of spring semester roll around the entire campus is being reborn in the form of tree hammocks, Jamestown beach weekends, and terracing galore. And dare I mention the Sunken Gardens?  Because on a nice afternoon, if you can scope out a patch of grass where you will neither be trampled by soccer players, hit by Frisbees, or mauled by random dogs (the dogs people bring on campus but won’t let us pet), you may want to consider yourself extremely lucky.
However, before I continue on a useless rant about how much I love this campus in the spring and about how excited I am to be tan because I DID NOT go somewhere tropical over spring break (I still sound bitter, I know), let me just remind you of all of the wonderful things you will be doing in the next few weeks. Drop that organic chemistry textbook (preferably out of a car window as you are crossing a high bridge), and listen close, because with summer now LESS than 2 months away, it’s time to remember that LIFE IS NOT ALWAYS PLAGUED BY COLD WEATHER AND EXAMS.

In fact, for better organization, AND because my brain is still in shambles from the 10 page research paper I have to pull out of the depths of my brain by next Monday, let me break it down even more.
For example, let’s look at the last two weeks of March. The sunshine comes out. Your afternoon is magically free.  What are your choices?

• Terrace. Terrace. Terrace.  Did I mention the TERRACE? I commonly refer to it as the place that combines friendship, sunshine, Quiznos, and love.  I’m not actually sure where love comes in, but I love the first three.

• Frozen treats. Berrybody’s and Baskin Robins are open all year, but what about Rita’s and Snow to Go? They’re seasonal AND they’re cheaper (at least Snow to Go).  AND did you know that you can mix vanilla ice cream with mango sherbet and vanilla wafer crackers, and cover it all in coconut? I know this because I just experienced it. Take that, Berrybody, and your “we only carry three flavors of frozen yogurt” experience (Sounding bitter? Again? Never).

• Colonial Parkway. Not only does this road offer scenic views, but there are SPECTACULAR beaches at every pullout. The first is Jamestown, another is James River, and the rest are smaller, BUT just as nice. Just remember: Park carefully.  The “No Parking Towing Enforced” signs are all fun and games until Trucker Ben from Tow Trucks Inc. rolls up and sneaks your beloved Honda away.

• Greek Philanthropies, Friday’s at 5, concerts (SUPERMASHBROS IN APRIL), and all other sorts of student shenanigans. These include “Pie a Pi Phi” (whipped cream to the face anyone?), “Theta Fourth Meal” (the place to be after last year’s K’naan concert), “Chi-O Karaoke” and “Kappasta.”  The month of March has many opportunities for hibernating students to WAKE UP AND SOCIALIZE.  Have I mentioned all of the Tie-Dyeing and AXOlympics opportunities coming up in April? Basically, stop missing out.  The weather is nice. The events are cheap.  Besides, all Swem now offers is fire alarms DURING thunderstorms.  Twice. (if I sound like I’m exaggerating, reference March 21st for more information).

In essence, kind of how Thursday comes before Friday (and yes, I did JUST reference THAT Friday song, a tune that can make a hearing aid malfunction), March comes before April, which MEANS that it is time to 1) remember how to live, 2) enjoy life, 3) soak up the sunshine, and 4) start training for Blow Out.

If that wasn’t enough to convince you, I’ll leave you all with one of my favorite spring quotes:

“Live life fully while you’re here. Experience everything. Take care of yourself and your friends. Have fun, be crazy, be weird. Go out and screw up! You’re going to anyway, so you might as well enjoy the process. Take the opportunity to learn from your mistakes: find the cause of your problem and eliminate it. Don’t try to be perfect; just be an excellent example of being human.”

Anthony Robbins

Until then, my dear Swemmers, live on, look forward to the endless days of summer, and smile NOT because winter is almost over (although that’s a GREAT reason), but because the best time of the year is just about to begin.