Why HCWM with Alexis Canty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Why HCWM is a column we started that answers a simple question: Why did our team members join HCWM? Why do they love working with HerCampus? Why do they stay with HCWM? Today we’re hearing from Alexis Canty, Class of 2015 and Recruitment Chair.

Her Campus isn’t just any online magazine! It’s a fun and exciting way to get the latest scoops on fashion trends, relationship advice, news and culture, and so much more!! I have learned so much from being a part of the William and Mary branch of Her Campus.

I decided to join Her Campus because I participated in a literary magazine as an editor at my high school. I felt that it would be a great way to meet new people and find lifetime friends. The chance to do what I love (write) and to network was too good to resist!

Her Campus exposes you to many opportunities. Our branch was the first to hold a campus conference! The conference was a huge success and one of the founders of Her Campus, Windsor Hanger was able to attend! I was so honored to meet her and to help with an event that turned out to be such a success! Even the speakers who were on our panel of female success stories gave great advice for the future, which included advice about internships, careers, and personal goals. I really enjoyed that experience and will cherish it for life! Her Campus has also given me experience in terms of social media, writing, planning, interviewing, and marketing. We must think on our feet and use the resources we have in the best ways possible! I know that this skill set will be useful when I go into the workforce and it has already helped me to build my resume.

The most important thing I can tell you is how Her Campus shaped my freshman experience. I loved Her Campus from the start. Everyone was welcoming and willing to give advice about writing or even personal situations. We aren’t just a group of people writing for a magazine. We are friends, collaborating and exchanging ideas! When I talk about campus activities to my friends and family, Her Campus is one of the first things I talk about because it is just that awesome! I always look forward to going to weekly meetings and participating in Her Campus events. No matter what I know that I will make memories that I can hold onto for the rest of my life! So when someone asks, “Why Her Campus William and Mary?” I would say because it is an experience that you’ll remember for the rest of your life!

Harper is a junior at the College of William and Mary, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Marketing. A DC-Area native, she serves as Co-President at Her Campus William and Mary. She spends her summers interning in Marketing. This past summer was spent in New York City working at OppenheimerFunds as a Digital Strategy Intern, and the year before at Gannett working as a Marketing and Promotions Intern in the Social Commerce Division. She hopes to slowly accomplish a few things on her list of ridiculous dreams including hugging a walrus and voicing a named Disney character in a movie.Blog || LinkedIn || Twitter