What To Wear: Sorority Recruitment: Second Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Sorority recruitment, nicknamed “Rush,” can sometimes be confusing and overwhelming, but knowing what to wear during each of the rounds can take a load off your shoulders so that you can focus on being your fabulous self and on making the right decisions about what sorority to join. Here’s how!

Round 3: Skit Night

The Set-Up: During Skit Night, you will visit a maximum of five houses (but it is totally fine if you attend less houses!). You will have 40 minutes at each house to talk to sisters and to view an original skit (complete with songs, dances, and crazy costumes!) that the sisters have put together to show off their personalities.

What to Wear: The dress code for this round is dressy casual. It will be a bit of a long night, so make sure you wear something comfortable so that you can sit on the floor to watch all the skits and be comfortable sitting in the Court during the flex round(s). I suggest wearing something a little nicer than what you wore during Philanthropy Round because the round is an evening event. Also, most sisters (and you!) make big decisions about who they would like to invite to Pref Night right after Skit Night, so wear something that you feel fabulous in that looks polished and appropriate. I suggest nice shorts with a delicate blouse, a skirt and blouse, or a cute sundress, all with nice sandals or espadrilles. While you watch the skit and while talking with sisters, you will probably be sitting on the floor so, again, make sure everything is covered. Sisters will be wearing themed outfits that go with their dances or skit theme, so if you are debating between outfits, go for solids and avoid neons (lots of dancers wear neon!).

Tip for this round: Pay attention during the skit! Is it based off of your favorite movie? Did they do a song based off one of your fave tunes? Sisters love to know what specific parts you liked, because it lets us get to know your personality a little better. Another reason? You might be talking to the girl who wrote the lyrics or came up with the script or painted the backdrop. Let us know if you loved it! Also, try to ask questions about that chapter, like who they are going to homecoming with, if they have IM sport teams, and what sort of sisterhood events do they do. Sisters are really trying to let you know how awesome their sorority is and they know that this is a difficult decision for PNMs, so help us out!
[pagebreak]
Preference Night

The Set-Up: During Preference Night, called Pref Night for short, you will visit either one or two houses during the evening with one or two flex events. You will have 45 minutes to watch and participate in a special ceremony in which sisters will invite you to join their sisterhood for the night. You will then be paired with one girl to talk to after the ceremony.

What to Wear: The dress code for this round is cocktail or semiformal. Wear something that makes you feel absolutely fabulous and like Kate Middleton. The dress you wear for this round should be nice: no hoochie dresses, no cheap-looking fabric, no tribal prints. You get the picture. The ceremony you will be participating in is unique to that sorority and is probably really old and special to the sisters, so please respect it by looking your best. I recommend a cocktail dress and a pair of heels. If you simply cannot wear heels on our historic W&M cobblestone, try a nice pair of flats instead or simply wear the flats until you get to sorority court. Sisters will be wearing head-to-toe black, except for Pi Beta Phi who wears white. Wear something with color that will help you stand out. Your hair and makeup should suite your style and play up your best features. If you want to get funky, try interesting accessories like some fun earrings or a conversational cocktail ring.

Tips for this round: I have three tips for this one. The first is: do not be freaked out if sisters are getting emotional or the girl you are talking to starts to cry. Pref night takes us back to when we were PNMs, searching for the perfect match and now that we have found it, it is hard to explain how important our sorority is and how much we have enjoyed the journey. My second tip is that your mascara should be waterproof, just in case you get emotional. If you find yourself crying though, look up at the ceiling like you are trying to think of something. No one will ever know and it is not as painful as biting your tongue. My final tip is to still have fun with pref night. You are still weighing your options and are making a big decision, but take advantage of this wonderful opportunity to see some of the history and tradition of a sorority you may join. Pref night is a very special night, so enjoy it!
[pagebreak]
BID DAY!

It’s finally here! One of the best days of the year! Bid day is awesome, so get ready for a lot of hugs, pictures, and Facebook friend requests!

What to Wear: A sister will be giving you your Bid Day shirt, so wear jeans or shorts in black, white, or jean. Colored shorts may be cute, but if you are wearing cute green shorts and receive an orange tee, it might be disastrous. With your bottoms, wear a white or black camisole or tank top so you can easily put the tee or tank you receive on top. I do not want to hear that any readers awkwardly try to change shirts in front of their chapter! It is weird! I did it… Learn from my mistake. Nothing says sisterhood quite like flashing 90 girls and a photographer on Bid Day! For footwear, I recommend wearing sandals. Some sororities go back to the house and others go off campus for a surprise activity, so dress for both. You hair and makeup should be natural but camera-friendly since there will be a ton of photos taken of you. If you have anything that has one of your sorority’s symbols, like moon-shaped earring, a dolphin hairclip, or a key pendant, wear it! If you own it, well, it was simply meant to be.

Tip for this round: DO NOT go on Facebookbefore your Recruitment Counselor offers you a bid. DON’T DO IT! Sisters will friend all the girls from the incoming pledge class within hours of finding out who is in the new pledge class on Bid Day. Nothing ruins the surprise quite like 70+ friend requests. Just wait patiently. Watch Netflix. Do some homework. Sleep in. Just whatever you do, do not go on Facebook.

Best of luck!
For more information about W&M Sorority Recruitment, visit:
http://www.wm.edu/offices/greeks/recruitment/sororityrecruit/index.php
For a funny video detailing what to expect during recruitment, watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBrW23dblpk

Harper is a junior at the College of William and Mary, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Marketing. A DC-Area native, she serves as Co-President at Her Campus William and Mary. She spends her summers interning in Marketing. This past summer was spent in New York City working at OppenheimerFunds as a Digital Strategy Intern, and the year before at Gannett working as a Marketing and Promotions Intern in the Social Commerce Division. She hopes to slowly accomplish a few things on her list of ridiculous dreams including hugging a walrus and voicing a named Disney character in a movie.Blog || LinkedIn || Twitter