What to Expect From Orientation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

I was scared for orientation last year. I thought it would be a long, drawn out experience that I would emerge from with a lot of college tips, but no close friends. That ended up being pretty far from the truth. Despite the early mornings and a few boring lectures, I’ll always remember orientation as a time packed with tangible excitement and a massive bonding experience. By the end of the week, I walked out of feeling like a true member of the Tribe.

In order for you to feel more prepared than I did, here is a list of things to expect from William & Mary orientation!

1. Mixers galore

One of the best things about William & Mary is its small student body, which gives you the opportunity to know everyone in your hall, even the biggest dorms. Mixers catalyze this process. Orientation aides organize several get-to-know-you games each day, which usually incorporate another hall. Prepare yourself for a lot of awkward male-female mixers: some of these include pairing up and making egg-babies, serenading each other, carrying fruit together using just your necks, escorting each other to orientation activities, and blindly exchanging phone numbers.

2. An assortment of lectures

We attended several lectures in PBK (that’s Phi Beta Kappa Hall, our theatre building that houses a big auditorium), and I’m not gonna lie: some of them were pretty boring.  Along with a few sleep-inducing talks on plagiarism and alcohol safety lectures, there are some really eye opening talks about topics such as diversity and sexual abuse. They all last about an hour, and by the time everything is said and done, you’ll understand a lot more about what it’s truly like to be a college student.

3. Super fun events

Last year we had a mentalist come in and seemingly read the minds of the entire class of 2016. He guessed people’s phone numbers, figured out random sentences that they typed on their smart phones, and determined what certain select people in the audience were thinking about. It was totally mind-blowing and a wonderful break from all of the hectic activity that was going on during orientation. Other events included Meet the Greeks, an acapella showcase, and an ice cream social at the Rec Center.

4. Forging your college path

Of course this category includes talking to your advisor and picking classes, but one of the most exciting parts of orientation is the activities fair. William & Mary Hall becomes packed with stands for every student organization, and if you’re anything like me, you’ll completely spaz and put your name down on the listserv for way too many clubs. All joking aside, clubs are where you’re going to make some of the best friends and memories of your college career. (Make sure to come say “hi” to us at the Her Campus table!)

5. Convocation

Convocation was amazing. You get to wear your prettiest sundress, listen to Taylor Reveley’s dry humor, and then walk through the Wren Building to emerge on the Sunken Gardens where you will run through a crowd of upperclassmen and give at least two hundred high-fives (note: bring hand sanitizer.) It was an unforgettable moment with a massive display of school spirit will make you feel so welcome to the College. Once through, you will find a nice picnic where you can bond with your new friends and rejoice that you’re finally official members of the Tribe. 

6. Making your best friends

This one may sound obvious and cheesy, but it’s true. Move-in day is going to be really awkward because your mind will be overflowing with first impressions of your hallmates, but once you take the time to actually bond and get to know each other, you’ll find some great friends in the mix. I know I’m always going to be super close to the friends I met during orientation.

So don’t stress too much about orientation, or the first few weeks of college. It’s one of the most exciting parts of freshman year and will lead up to wonderful things.