Reflections on the Charter Day Ceremony

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Why is February 8, 1693 such an important date for the William & Mary community? Sunday marks the College’s 322nd birthday, when the Crown issued a charter that allowed the College to educate for generations to come. It wasn’t until February 8, 1937, that Charter Day began to be celebrated annually, thanks to President John Stewart Bryan. Although Charter Day is the College’s birthday, it also has a deeper meaning that celebrates the incredible contributions of its alumni and of its current students and professors.

The Charter Day ceremony was a fantastic event to start off the weekend. It began with readings from the royal charter and a reflection from Heein Choi ’17, and then progressed to a recognition of alumni who have received the Alumni Medallion. After, one degree of Doctor of Humane Letters was given to Grace Harris, who went on to become one of the most important female, African-American figures at Virginia Commonwealth University. Thomas Graves, Jr. was the second recipient who served as the College’s 23rd president who helped to expand the College and its influence. Margaret Lobeck ’15 won the James Monroe Prize in Civic Leadership as a result of her commitment and passion for helping others, while William Bergan ’15 won the Thomas Jefferson Prize in Natural Philosophy due to his dedication for academics. Professor John Riofrio won the prestigious Thomas Jefferson Teaching Award and David Aday won the Thomas Jefferson Award for their devotion to their students. After closing remarks from President Reveley, Passing Notes, an a capella group, sang a rendition of Happy Birthday. The ceremony came to an end after the Alma Mater.

One of my favorite parts of the ceremony was learning what Margaret Lobeck ’15 contributed to the College and to the community. She volunteered at Dreamcatchers, an organization that teaches horseback riding lessons to people with disabilities. In addition, she led an alternative break team in Tanzania to help prevent the spread of HIV and founded Camp Kesem, which brings joy into the lives of children whose parents have cancer. Her compassion for others and selflessness was truly inspiring.

Although Professor John Riofrio has only been at the College for six years, I cannot think of a better professor who deserves this award. After taking a class with him, I can attest that he certainly challenges his students and pushes them to think on a deeper, more intellectual level. His speech on the challenges that teachers face on a daily basis was eye-opening and was a real reality check on how many undermine teaching as a profession.

After seeing the inspiring people on stage, I realized how fortunate I am to attend such an incredible university that helps produce great minds who have the ability to make a difference in the world. After 322 years, I think of those who have come before us, such as James Monroe, and of course, Thomas Jefferson, and think of those who will come after us, and how they will make an impact in the future.

Photo by Staci Jukes

Sierra is a junior who is majoring in English. She is a huge grammar nerd with an endless love for the written word and for the complexities of the English language.